K-Tec

More F***ing Street Lights

More
13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #87062 by mykc
Replied by mykc on topic Re:More F***ing Street Lights
Paul's "rant" was a useful reminder of this thorny problem. I wonder how aware our local authorities are of the light pollution issue? I guess that the engineers are well aware both of the technical and the cost issues. If that is the case what is driving the apparently relentless increase in lighting? Is it resident's associations and other local pressure groups campaigning on grounds of improving road safety and reducing anti-social/criminal activity? Local representatives are extremely sensitive to such pressures, but perhaps we should think about ways of making them more aware of the case against light pollution, i.e. the case for careful planning of lighting.

I know almost nothing about this topic, but I see that there is an Irish organisation, The Irish Light Pollution Awareness Campaign (ILPAC), devoted to it. They seem to have produced some excellent material, and deserve our support. As a first step, I will join this organisation, and educate myself so that I can help in the campaign to influence the local authorities.

As regards sports clubs, generally speaking they are supported by fund raising in the community, so they are very cost conscious and will be receptive to our message. My local GAA club built a new floodlit all-weather facility recently and used the best lighting systems available to minimise stray light.

Mike

Skywatcher 120 mm ED on a CG5 mount.
Orion UK 300mm Dobsonian
Last edit: 13 years 6 months ago by mykc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds