K-Tec

October 2003 telescope price review

More
20 years 5 months ago #925 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: October 2003 telescope price review
Nobody gets freebies in this world, so where does the money go to? Is this David Moore's job? An astronommical society is a place where a hobby can be explored and implemented, almost free (without the extra's like magazines etc), and not be exploited for anyones gain. AI's public liability insurance premium is not even a tenth of the net annual income...

Sorry, but I don't see how it can be justified, how a society of hobbies can 'exploit' Joe Soap who doesn't know any better. If you're going to go out observing, and someone wnats to have a peek, where's the fun in charging for that peek (seriously)??

Just my thoughts... :roll:

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 5 months ago #930 by jhonan
Replied by jhonan on topic Re: October 2003 telescope price review

I understand how AI works (sorta) after reading that and I understand how A&S works (as it is a publicly limmited company), the bit I have issue with is how they inter-relate. When you "Join AI" your money seems to go to A&S limmited! It all seems very confusing to me!

Now I've had a close look at the A&S website, I am even more confused about all of this. I really am going to have to have a word with David Moore at Astro Expo.

1) Astronomy.ie has a tagline that reads 'Astronomy Ireland Homepage' - This indicates it is the Astronomy Ireland CLUB homepage.

2) Nowhere on that page does it mention anything about joining the club. There is actually a link to 'Subscribe' (to the magazine I presume)

3) On the subscription page, it says 'Subscription Form', but under that it says 'If you wish to join by credit card see below'. Hang on, am I subscribing or joining now?

4) The dropdown box gives the following options;

Membership/Subscription Type (Well, which is it? :? )
Current Issue - €5. Okay, this is to PURCHASE an issue
Back Issue(Specify in comments) - €5. Another option to purchase
Full - €40. Full what? Membership, or subscription?
Household - €40 Membership or subscription? Still not sure
Student - €35 Ditto
Unwaged - €35 Ditto
Under 18 - €35 Ditto
65 and over - €35 Ditto
Special Lifetime Membership - €800 - Now, this says membership - Do I get the magazine subscription as well?
U.K. - £30 stg - Magazine, or membership?
Europe airmail - £40 stg - Ah, it says 'airmail' - This must be for the magazine
Rest of world airmail - £45 stg - Ditto

So, here we seem to have a confusing mixture of subscriptions to the A&S magazine, and membership to the Astronomy Ireland club. Or perhaps there's a different page to just join the club? - What if I don't want the magazine, but just want to join the club, how much is that I wonder?

And now, for my favourite part of this form. The 'Donation' dropdown;

To further the society's aim of promoting interest in astronomy we ask all members to make a donation. Even €1 will help but please be as generous as possible. It will be put to good use. €1, 5, 10, 20 or Other.

Ah, now we are 'members' of a 'society'. But hang on, if we've subscribed to a magazine which is the A&S Ltd. magazine, and now we're contributing to the Astronomy Ireland Club/Society how do they divide up the money? It's all on one credit card form. In fact, now I mention it, any credit card processing has to be assigned to a merchant account, which is normally only given to a Limited Company. So, does that mean all the Astronomy Ireland credit card 'donations' or lifetime 'memberships' go into the A&S Ltd account, and they then keep track of the AI donations and membership fees which are split into a separate Astronomy Ireland account? - But then Astronomy Ireland doesn't exist as a company! Back to square one.

This really is starting to confuse me. This whole club/shop/magazine conundrum. I'm starting to doubt the club really exists. It's just a figment of our imagination.

John.

Everyone in Ireland buys Meade, and they all buy them from Lidl.

More
20 years 5 months ago #931 by gnason
Replied by gnason on topic Re: October 2003 telescope price review

I belive he was refering to the table on that main page which compares the prives of A&S to other dealers for the same products. NOT a flattering comparison!

Bart.

Bart,

This is what's puzzling me. My browser is not picking up any reference to this telescope comparison. The page only lists a number of web sites and the side bar doesn't mention it either.

Gordon

More
20 years 5 months ago #934 by jhonan

This is what's puzzling me. My browser is not picking up any reference to this telescope comparison. The page only lists a number of web sites and the side bar doesn't mention it either.

Here you go Gordon;

www.irishastronomy.com/images/sshot.gif

John.

More
20 years 5 months ago #935 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: October 2003 telescope price review

Wierd, it works for me even with a text based browser.

I've uploaded a screenshot of the page to www.irishastronomy.org/user_resources/fi...ber_price_review.jpg
hopefully jhonan has no objections?

Cheers,
~Al

p.s. I've just checked my reciepts for the LXD55 I bought last year in the UK. 48 hour courier from Cambridge cost £70.91 for the 117 lbs. scope.

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
20 years 5 months ago #937 by jhonan

I've uploaded a screenshot of the page to www.irishastronomy.org/user_resources/fi...ber_price_review.jpg
hopefully jhonan has no objections?

Great minds think alike... :P

No objection Al - After all, I nicked your links to the met office satellite pics yesterday.... :lol:

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds