K-Tec

ASTRONOMY RIP-OFF IRELAND DOES IT AGAIN

More
12 years 7 months ago #90452 by R Newman
Replied by R Newman on topic Re: ASTRONOMY RIP-OFF IRELAND DOES IT AGAIN
Does he know how much it costs to run one of these Starparties/Star BBQ, about €3000+, so if he is charging 39 quid its not bad, we charged €30 in Galway last year, these events dont run themselves, your hoping to claw back some money and maybe just maybe make a profit. :rant:

R Newman
Galway Astronomy Club
The topic has been locked.
More
12 years 7 months ago #90457 by Calibos
Replied by Calibos on topic Re: ASTRONOMY RIP-OFF IRELAND DOES IT AGAIN
Well things have obviously very much changed for the better (outside the great guest speakers and volunteers which were always there from what I hear) because some of the stories I read on that thread on boards disgusted me. A few years ago, I myself was told not to bring my Orion Dob as I wouldn't be allowed set it up. The way Gliese was talking I assumed nothing had changed. The question is, would it have changed without the bad press and yourself and Carls sterling efforts and powers of persuasion with the Commander in Chief? Is it not true that the Shops pricing only got more realistic and less, dare I say Rip off when Carl was in charge.

The price of admission certainly sounds like good value going on the description of the latest event but surely one must admit is was not always thus. The Vegatarian option used to be the burger bun and lettuce without the burger!! :D You guys are to be commended for sticking with the organisation and helping to change it from within.

Keith D.

16" Meade Lightbridge Truss Dobsonian with Servocat Tracking/GOTO
Ethos 3.7sx,6,8,10,13,17,21mm
Nagler 31mm
More
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #90458 by Calibos
Replied by Calibos on topic Re: ASTRONOMY RIP-OFF IRELAND DOES IT AGAIN

Pat_Dunne wrote: This will be my final post on this topic, as there is an obvious in house political undercurrent to some of the posts here.

There is no 'In-house' anything Pat. I am not a member of a society. I have observed with the lads from SDAS but any opinion or information I have on the subject is my own. The subject of AI has never come up while I was observing or helping out with outreach to my recollection.

I've never been to the Roundwood StarBQ because the first time I decided to go I was quietly told not to bring my scope unless it was a Celestron. First and last time I considered going. Any information I had about poor value in the past or the internal power structure in the club came from disgruntled StarBQ visitors or ex AI members/volunteers/staff who posted on the infamous thread. Had they all got an axe to grind? I don't know.

Maybe my description was illinformed bulls**t present and future tense but was it bulls**t past tense?
I just wish Dave or Carl had more influence on the Chairman sooner. Looks like things are very much looking up now though.

Keith D.

16" Meade Lightbridge Truss Dobsonian with Servocat Tracking/GOTO
Ethos 3.7sx,6,8,10,13,17,21mm
Nagler 31mm
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by Calibos.
  • GLIESE 581G
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 7 months ago #90459 by GLIESE 581G
Replied by GLIESE 581G on topic Re: ASTRONOMY RIP-OFF IRELAND DOES IT AGAIN
ha ha ha i taught i was the only one my god
just go over to boards.ie their is not a
singel person who has a good word to say
about A.I. :laugh: remember the largest
telescope store in europe.
  • GLIESE 581G
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #90460 by GLIESE 581G
Replied by GLIESE 581G on topic Re: ASTRONOMY RIP-OFF IRELAND DOES IT AGAIN
MY GOD IF THIS IS TRUE YOU HAVE BROKEN THE LAW :devil:

Big D I went to an event organised by Ai in the phoenix park,They charged a euro for a 30 second look through their telescope x 2,as there was two planets highly visable
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by dmcdona.
More
12 years 7 months ago #90461 by johnomahony
Replied by johnomahony on topic Re: ASTRONOMY RIP-OFF IRELAND DOES IT AGAIN
I wonder how clubs in general are doing over there with the economy in tatters? Must be tough to get new paying members.

The Lord giveth, the Revenue taketh away. (John 1:16)

www.flickr.com/photos/7703127@N07/
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds