K-Tec

Transit of Venus-a cautionary tale

More
11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #94303 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Transit of Venus-a cautionary tale
yea, those posters went way over the top.
But lets face it, to the general public its a rather boring/so what event, only special cos its so rare.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor
Last edit: 11 years 10 months ago by dave_lillis.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 10 months ago #94304 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Transit of Venus-a cautionary tale
Brian Cox does a great job in popularising astronomy. But to put that into context, he *does* have the support of a very well funded and well run broadcasting organisation who have always been extremely supportive of science for many many years. Life on Earth genre, Sky at Night, Horizon, Christmas Lectures are all series have run for many years. Then add in the once-offs - Mars Beagle programme, Stargazing live... See www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/programmes/ for a full line up.

Here in Ireland, that support is very limited. Sure, there have been a few science programmes (Quantum Leap, Science Friction) but I think most of the science reported by RTE is based on news items, certainly in the recent past. They are trying to change that but it's a slow process.

I think that the general public are not "bored" about science - they are just ignorant of it. Certainly there are many journalists out there that can make any subject engaging, interesting and simple enough. That can absolutely be for science too. And more especially astronomy. Given that it is one of few subjects that is very accessible (nature being another) in many ways, it is ripe for someone to popularise it. And many have - Cox, Moore, Attenborough, Bonnin, Mulvihill, McWilliams...

It can be done. I'd bet that if the BBC had run a programme on the ToV, many would have tuned in and would have learned a lot and been delighted that they had done so.

As regards the current main source of astronomy knowledge that the media turn to, I actually find David Moore's broadcasts quite good. He engages the audience by making it interesting. Yes, there is a little bit of hype used - but only to generate that interest. If you were to go on radio and just relay the facts, it *would* be pretty boring.

As to being representative, well, that's easy enough to change. Send out press releases to all the journalists, radio and TV outlets you can find. They'll soon build a relationship with you. Trouble is, most of us are amateur astronomers with other commitments in our lives and don't have that kind of time.

In the case of this article, I do feel that it could have been turned around by sending the journalist a communication as to *why* the ToV was "spectacular". I'd bet that she would have run it. I did notice that in her Twitter feed there was a line that went "The transit of meh" - I had to change my underwear. But I also noted that even on the Astro-Physics groups, ToV images garnered the title "yet another transit image" very quickly.

And hey, let's face it, like the article or hate it, it has certainly generated interest.

Dave

More
11 years 10 months ago #94305 by dave_lillis
its true,
RTE's science content is very limited, it always been that way, BBC did a horizon special on the night before the ToV.

More
11 years 10 months ago #94306 by dmolloy
Replied by dmolloy on topic Re: Transit of Venus-a cautionary tale
Note: on the subject of Mr brain Cox....my wife likes him too, she says he has a beautiful mind :ohmy:

Perhaps we need, as a community to work harder too educate, cajole the publics perceception of science astronomy earth sciences etc. but it is a tough asssignment when the prevailing culture is becoming more insular and more virtual.
As was already said (in so many words) the public get the newspapers they both deserve and demand - tabloid press. vacious celebrity-obsessed bovine droppings...I know that all sounds a bit snobbish, but it's hard to maintain your patience when confroted with stuff like that.

even when i have been refered to as a "star gazer" I feel a little put out - makes you sound like a member of the bewildered, or maybe im a bit over sensitive :blush:

Folks, we are in a minority.... :rock:

Declan

More
11 years 10 months ago #94307 by manic_dave
Replied by manic_dave on topic Re: Transit of Venus-a cautionary tale
Perhaps what we need is an event ( I know, the weather !!!! ) that could highlight astronomy and at the same time give a boost to the IFAS.

I was reading about how Mexico holds the record for the most telescopes pointed at the moon at one time.

latino.foxnews.com/latino/lifestyle/2011...ing-with-telescopes/

I wonder if we could do something like that. There is scope next summer with the Gathering, and perhaps we could tap into that and get some Government funding.

I have some access to media contacts through work, and I think we could also get some sponsorship.

It would be a lot, and I mean a lot of hard work, but I have several smaller ideas based around the media which could help.

Perhaps we could approach the Minister for education and see could this be useful as a transition year project.

It would require a website and organisation on a regional basis.

just a thought !

www.skelligstarparty.com
Europe's Darkest Skies
Top 4 Locations in the world to Stargaze by Paste Magazine.

More
11 years 10 months ago #94308 by dave_lillis
perhaps we could do a country wide observing session and do a world record for the most clouded out observers in one go,
yea, I know I'm been smart :devil:

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds