K-Tec

funny one on astromart, now have to pay to see adverts fully

More
11 years 5 months ago #95733 by tony h
Think my mind is going, but astromart introduced this some 18 months ago or more and there
was a big discussion on Cloudy Nights then, I know when I tried to view ads for sale at that
time i got that request but I think it was $ 10 subscription and now it’s $15.

Pity …because it was great just to browse the site and see what was on offer and drool over
all the eye candy at prices we could only dream of over here.

I don’t know whether it’s a good thing or not to charge but I never signed up.

I think H**b is in his own place if you get what I mean.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• dave_lillis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #95745 by dave_lillis
I can completely understand that the site needs to be paid for.
Given its popularity, I cant see why its cant be run on an advertising basis. Advertisers must be scrambling to get in there.
In the past, Herb has said that the site is a burden on his shop so he has to charge for it, cant see why any shop would want to run a secondhand buy and sell site, how could could it ever help his business.
I think the ebay model is far batter, where ebay get a cut of the sales price, although I'm sure its a level of complexity far above whats been currently run so might never happen.

In the cloudynights classifieds, you can see reviews of the seller in their previous adds by the buyer, it gives some sense of security. Ukastrobuyandsell is always a risk though...

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by dave_lillis.

More
11 years 5 months ago #95749 by Seanie_Morris
Gave up on Astrofart a couple years ago when I was told my account was deleted and had to pay to sign up to 'renew' it.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
11 years 5 months ago #95751 by tony h
Yes Dave I agree that the site /service have to be paid for, and yes I think the ebay system works.

Now the way I see it is, maybe astro sites including this one should have a charge for adverts,
small as it may be for this site (small community) but I would imagine a substantial sum for astromart.

Say a sliding scale of some sort.

So seller pays a fee for their ad and has to have a paypal account or something similar for security
reasons which would reduce fraud and scams. And potential buyers are free to browse.

I have bought from astromart and uk buy and sell in the past and never had a problem.
I always check the sellers history for older ads, when they joined, paypal and so on….

This info is nearly always available if you search for it.

Also I believe if this discussion was happening on astromart, (which it wouldn’t) Herb would
probably ban you, me and everyone else for life for taking part.

Tony

More
11 years 5 months ago #95752 by Marto
IIRC Astromart has been like that for a year? Still seems popoular, if anything the asking prices are lower on astromart than cloudynights.

• dave_lillis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
11 years 5 months ago #95765 by dave_lillis
well, if you look at the below link, you'll be able to see people who've subscribed to the site, they come up as an announcement, I really don't think I'll be doing it unless I'm badly stuck for something....
www.astromart.com/classifieds/list.asp?c...ategory_id=15&page=1

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds