K-Tec

Naming the Features on the Moon

More
11 years 4 months ago #95980 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic Re: Naming the Features on the Moon
None of us want Patrick to named on the far side of the Moon. Let us hope some rules are broken and that he gets his name on something like one of the Clavius circle of craters. D, C, and N have no names.

Aubrey.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #95982 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re: Naming the Features on the Moon
Ditto Aubrey, the farside just would not do!

Keith.

More
11 years 4 months ago #95983 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Naming the Features on the Moon

flt158 wrote: Let us hope some rules are broken

Aubrey.

Aubrey, I fear that the chances of the IAU breaking their rules are as likely as the world ending this coming Friday...

However, I would be very surprised that they would ignore a concerted campaign to have a near-side crater or other lunar feature named after Patrick Moore. But as Eamonn says, that will not be within the next three years.

Of course, another option would be to have a Martian feature named after him. Or a space mission, artificial satellite etc. There are many other things than lunar craters that he can be honoured with.

Cheers
Dave

More
11 years 4 months ago #95984 by mjc
Replied by mjc on topic Re: Naming the Features on the Moon
Patrick, of course has several pretty decent honours already. But it would be nice to have something on the near-side of the moon either officially named after him - or widely associated with him - even if informally.

Not distracting from any formal naming efforts - but in the best efforts of amateur efforts - why don't the amateur community set itself a challenge to find a near-side feature - that future amateurs can pick out and remember Patrick.
In particular I'm thinking of the best crater with associated mountain range that best visualises a monocle and chain - or anything along these lines.

Seeking (and hopefully finding) such a feature would be a decent amateur challenge in and off itself. Describing it going forward (if a decent feature is found) to future observers in books and commentary might be something that Patrick might have appreciated.

If we can find potatoes with the face of Jesus (well that sort of thing) then I think we can find a feature that can be used to keep Patrick's name alive and well and associated with lunar observing - even if it isn't official. Something that can be well seen with a Newt of no larger than 6" aperture.

Mark C.

More
11 years 4 months ago #96004 by JohnONeill
Replied by JohnONeill on topic Re: Naming the Features on the Moon
Hi,

I hope he is not named after an impact site!

John

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds