K-Tec

A bargain missed?

More
10 years 11 months ago #97749 by albertw
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationReplied by albertw on topic Re: A bargain missed?

donnellan.brendan wrote: Id love to know the story behind that, who had it and how did it end up in westmeath of all places.

In the hands of someone who uses ebay mostly for selling collectible stamps.

It's possibly not sold yet either :) ... or the KGB got to him!
"This listing was ended by the seller because there was an error in the listing."

€800 is a tempting price. Within the limits of a few individuals here chipping in to buy it... but mounting something that size would be a challenge.

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/
The following user(s) said Thank You: donnellan.brendan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago #97750 by michaeloconnell
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationReplied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: A bargain missed?
That's not your average scope!
With the weight, it certainly is not the ideal scope to start off with as a first scope in an observatory. A mount for that could cost a 5 figure sum.
As for you the seller is, I think I know whom it may be - a few of us here may know the person in question actually. However. i won't name the person as I could be wrong. Not many people in this country would be able to get equipment like that. :-)

More
10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #97751 by dave_lillis
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationReplied by dave_lillis on topic Re: A bargain missed?
Even if you went ahead and got this scope, its not like it comes with a 2" focuser, you'd need to make up your own rear cell adapter in order to do anything with or you will be stuck using very particular film with it .??
It says it has an aperture of 370mm and its collimatable. how would you even start collimating something like that ??
Is the focal plane curved ? and since it was designed for space with zero G, maybe its lenses are ultra thin so would they distort in earth gravity, ?? dunno...
I can think of much easier ways of getting a 14.5 inch scope ...

I could take a guess at the seller aswell ...

IF I was in charge of a museum or won the lotto (the add says its worth over 200,000e), then maybe.
I don't think you'd get it for e800 somehow :laugh: :laugh:

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by dave_lillis.

More
10 years 11 months ago #97752 by markrgriffin
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationReplied by markrgriffin on topic Re: A bargain missed?
The add says "This listing was ended by the seller because there was an error in the listing."
so guessing there's no one with a nice project

• Pat_Dunne
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
10 years 10 months ago #97795 by Pat_Dunne
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationReplied by Pat_Dunne on topic Re: A bargain missed?
Like others here, I'd love to know the story behind this one. The mind boggles as to how a scope from the outskirts of Moscow, ends up in Westmeath, in the hands of a philatelist.

Granted it hardly a "Grab and Go Scope", but what a potential project :-)

Celestron CPC 9.25
Celestron Ultima LX 8mm, 13mm, 17mm, 22mm, 32mm.
Starlight Microfocuser
A full set of Snickers Thermals

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds