K-Tec

Astronaut Chris Hadfield to visit Ireland in January 2014

More
10 years 4 months ago #99562 by PaulWalsh
I must be the only one not blown away by the whole experience all of this is directed at Eason's not Commander Hadfield but the whole thing was badly organised on their part. They ran out of copies of his book, he was only signing his name no dedication on it, he was only signing copies of his book. I was there on my own and in hindsight I should have brought a kid he did spend time talking to them and signing other items but for the adults it was "hi thanks for coming sorry for the wait". Maybe I expected too much from it but I could have stayed ay home got a pre ordered copy with a dedication and saved myself the hassle.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #99563 by manic_dave
Easons should be ashamed running out of books. Stupid, they knew in advance that he was going on the Late Late, (despite the fact the Tubbers made a pigs ear of the interview) there was going to be an increase in demand after his appearance.

Him only signing books, that standard enough stuff, remember he is being managed by a publishing house to sell books.

i think that it stands to the man that he spoke to the Children in the que, when there is a busy session like that these guys only get the chance to do a simple signing.

Well done to Anthony Lynch for getting into Newstalk to see him, was a well orchestrated but of work there and it paid off.

A well know Irish Astronomer did not manage to contact Newstalk with an RSVP I understand in time to highjack the event.

But I cant help feeling that more of a presence from Irish Astronomy in general was lacking. When he was in the UK I know both the big Magazines when after an interview. I just wonder should we have spoke to the Irish Media and seen could we do something with them.

www.skelligstarparty.com
Europe's Darkest Skies
Top 4 Locations in the world to Stargaze by Paste Magazine.
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by manic_dave.

More
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #99565 by PaulWalsh
I agree with everything you said and I feel as if I am a bit petty for what I said but Eason's did make a complete mess of it. It's not coming across as well as it is in my head. Those of us that were there from early got pushed through like cattle where those that were there later on seemed to have had a better experience out of it.
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by PaulWalsh.
The following user(s) said Thank You: manic_dave

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
10 years 4 months ago #99570 by Seanie_Morris

manic_dave wrote: But I cant help feeling that more of a presence from Irish Astronomy in general was lacking. When he was in the UK I know both the big Magazines when after an interview.

Agreed. I tried my hand on contacting Newstalk for both info on their interview, and even input on IFAS for them and was given a blank stare really (via emails). In general, the Irish media way of doing the event seemed rushed, but that is not to take away from those who were thrilled and happy to meet and greet the man. It was out of his hands.

Shame.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.
The following user(s) said Thank You: manic_dave

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds