K-Tec

First "Skelligs Star Party" August 22nd/23rd 2014

More
9 years 9 months ago #101208 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic First "Skelligs Star Party" August 22nd/23rd 2014

Got me a bed in the mixed dorm, €32, great price, God help anyone who shares with me. :P

Good news Paul! I've just booked a bed in the mixed dorm too ;)

Got that PM from you Roy and no problem to do a workshop/talk ... maybe something on observing the sky with the unaided eye (e.g., learning to really see the sky). My home e-mail is in my signature below if you want to drop me a line.

I was thinking that people might like to trek over to Valentia and visit the Skelligs interpretive centre (I was impressed by it when last there a few years ago). Also, we could have a look at the Tetrapod fossilized footprints on the far side of the island. If the weather is good we might get a trip to the Skelligs themselves.

John
The following user(s) said Thank You: lunartic_old

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Roy Stewart
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2014
More
9 years 9 months ago #101210 by Roy Stewart
Replied by Roy Stewart on topic First "Skelligs Star Party" August 22nd/23rd 2014
Nice1 guys..

@John Flannery.

A talk on viewing the night sky with the unaided eye sounds good to me, I'm sure something like that would extremely informative.. Thank you very much.

Cheers Roy

QUOTE: “Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” ― Arthur C. Clarke.
Skywatcher 200pds & HEQ5 PRO Mount , 15x70 Astro Revelation binos.. EP's SW 38mm 2" Panaview- SW 30mm 2" Aero- SW 26mm 2"Panaview.. 2" UHC filter-2" OIII filter.

www.twitter.com/Roydeboy33

• Roy Stewart
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 9 months ago #101212 by Roy Stewart
Replied by Roy Stewart on topic First "Skelligs Star Party" August 22nd/23rd 2014

skynotes wrote:

I was thinking that people might like to trek over to Valentia and visit the Skelligs interpretive centre (I was impressed by it when last there a few years ago). Also, we could have a look at the Tetrapod fossilized footprints on the far side of the island. If the weather is good we might get a trip to the Skelligs themselves.

John

I think that's a great idea for early Saturday
as for the Tetrapod footprints I know that they're
still closed off to the public after the big storm in Feb
but I also know that you can see them with a good set
of binos that I'm sure alot of us would have..

Cheers Roy

#ClearSkies #LunarNut

QUOTE: “Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” ― Arthur C. Clarke.
Skywatcher 200pds & HEQ5 PRO Mount , 15x70 Astro Revelation binos.. EP's SW 38mm 2" Panaview- SW 30mm 2" Aero- SW 26mm 2"Panaview.. 2" UHC filter-2" OIII filter.

www.twitter.com/Roydeboy33
The following user(s) said Thank You: johnflannery

More
9 years 9 months ago #101213 by Lino

skynotes wrote:

If you are looking at a trip over to Velentia, it would be worth stopping in the Glen (also in the core of the reserve) to scout another good location (the beach in the Glen is a great location for observing from (sheltered from the road), with plenty of parking and camping space and a couple of B&B's in the area for accommodation as well). Also consider a stop at the Chocolate Factory (also in the Glen) for a coffee or hot chocolate - a favour stop of mine after a swim (incidently, they are also mentioned on the Kerry Dark Sky site, so they might even facilitate a future event - good parking, with a view of the southern horizon, but close to the road so car headlights would be a problem.

The following user(s) said Thank You: johnflannery

More
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #101215 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic First "Skelligs Star Party" August 22nd/23rd 2014
Thanks Roy/Noel for that information about the area ... I hadn't realised the Tetrapod footprints were closed off due to February's storm. We never really saw the full effect up in Dublin but my brother working in Shannon said they were all ordered stay indoors and away from windows that day by the company's safety officers.

Cheers Noel for that extra info about the Glen and what to visit. Chocolate constellations, now there's a Dark Sky marketing idea ... remember folks, you read it here first ;)

Found this contact page for Julie ... www.darkskiesconsultant.com/dark-skies_i..._consultancy_005.htm

John
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by johnflannery.

More
9 years 9 months ago #101221 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic First "Skelligs Star Party" August 22nd/23rd 2014
We don't appear to have a title for the weekend, might I suggest The Skelligs Star Party? Or perhaps, Roy's Romp? :laugh:

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook
The following user(s) said Thank You: Seanie_Morris, Roy Stewart

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds