K-Tec

SAC Burren Star Party 2014, September 26th-27th

More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #101889 by johnomahony
Replied by johnomahony on topic SAC Burren Star Party 2014, September 26th-27th
Shot of the milkyway at the BSP. The high humidity transmitted quiet a bit of skyglow. Stack of 13 frames at 11mm. Cygnus is in the middle of the image.

www.flickr.com/photos/7703127@N07/15380279662/

This is a 60 second single frame , with M31 included.

www.flickr.com/photos/7703127@N07/15194348509/

The Lord giveth, the Revenue taketh away. (John 1:16)

www.flickr.com/photos/7703127@N07/
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by johnomahony.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dave_lillis

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• gordonlalor
  • Topic Author
  • Nebula
  • Nebula
More
9 years 7 months ago #101890 by gordonlalor
Replied by gordonlalor on topic SAC Burren Star Party 2014, September 26th-27th

Shot of the milkyway at the BSP. The high humidity transmitted quiet a bit of skyglow. Stack of 13 frames at 11mm. Cygnus is in the middle of the image.

Thats a lovely shot John.

Strangely, when we were at the site on Saturday night, there was a half hour where the milky way was visible and there seemed to be much less skyglow than the Friday night.
That was about the best view of the night though, and the cloud cover put anyone off of setting up their scopes. You made the right call staying in the pub.

More
9 years 7 months ago #101893 by johnomahony
Replied by johnomahony on topic SAC Burren Star Party 2014, September 26th-27th

gordonlalor wrote:

That was about the best view of the night though, and the cloud cover put anyone off of setting up their scopes. You made the right call staying in the pub.

7 Timer is rarely wrong B)

The Lord giveth, the Revenue taketh away. (John 1:16)

www.flickr.com/photos/7703127@N07/

More
9 years 7 months ago #101894 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic SAC Burren Star Party 2014, September 26th-27th
tbh I can live with abit of haze, I have to say I didn't notice it too much, better then cloud cover any day.
We got a torrent of rain on Thursday, its probably what caused it

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
9 years 7 months ago #101895 by Frank Ryan
Replied by Frank Ryan on topic SAC Burren Star Party 2014, September 26th-27th
Michael. Yes a few of us saw it. I also saw a nice very bright one travelling North through Cygnus at around the same time.
it lasted about 6/7 seconds and would say it was mag -4/5.

My Astrophotography
Shannonside Astronomy Club __________________________________________
Meade ETX-125PE, Bresser 10 x 50 Binos & Me Peepers

More
9 years 7 months ago #101898 by Conn Buckley
Replied by Conn Buckley on topic SAC Burren Star Party 2014, September 26th-27th
Michael, Yes, I was in the Burren and saw a very bright one and while I did not think to check the time I am fairly sure it was shortly after midnight. It was definitely traveling East to West and it's flight path was just above a line connecting Alpheratz and Markab at the East and West corners of the square of Pegasus.

It first caught my attention when it was East of Alpheratz (about where M31 is) and it fizzled out just West of Markab leaving what looked to me as a smoke trail illuminated briefly by it's own brightness.

Duration? ….. it seemed to me like 2 or 3 seconds but long enough for me to shout to others the customary ' Wow look at that'. It was way brighter than anything else in the sky at the time and I would hazard a guess that it was at least as bright as Venus which I think is about Mag. -4/5 as Frank reckoned.

For me the most striking thing about it was it's colour and I saw it as green. Can they be green?
You say that your camera caught it so I would be interested to know if you can confirm the colour.
The observing site at the Burren offers the darkest night sky I have ever seen and even the most ordinary stars/constellations seemed brighter than what I am used to so I wondered would this cause me to exaggerate the brightness?

Conn Buckley.

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds