K-Tec

Congratulations to Mike Foylan

• Roy Stewart
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2014
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2014
More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #104119 by Roy Stewart
Replied by Roy Stewart on topic Congratulations to Mike Foylan
Just seeing this post today for the 1st time..

Wow, that is brilliant news, congrats Mr Foylan.
I've been speaking with a few people about getting
into the study of variables as they really do fascinate me.

Again, a massive CONGRATS.. Here's to finding some more.
Feel free to contact me as I would love to come on board with you
and 4 eyes are better than 2(Glasses don't count..lol).

Cheers Roy
#ClearSkies

QUOTE: “Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” ― Arthur C. Clarke.
Skywatcher 200pds & HEQ5 PRO Mount , 15x70 Astro Revelation binos.. EP's SW 38mm 2" Panaview- SW 30mm 2" Aero- SW 26mm 2"Panaview.. 2" UHC filter-2" OIII filter.

www.twitter.com/Roydeboy33
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Roy Stewart.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike, scfahy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago #104125 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic Congratulations to Mike Foylan
Thank you Roy,
I guess I just got lucky in finding this one. When your undertaking measuring asteroids photometrically to determine their spin rates/amplitude you avoid known variable stars in the field of view as these will skew your photometric results on your target asteroid thus greatly degrading the value of your results.

It’s when you click on a previously unknown variable star and you look at the results you have one of those; “oh, that’s looks strange” moments and then you have to investigate deeper.

Since variable star observing involves specific ways of doing things I guess there is a steep learning curve for me, so I am thinking the best place to start is with short period relatively bright scientifically interesting variable stars and this program from the AAVSO is one I would be definitely interested in called the SPP (Short Period Pulsator) Program which includes a number of RR Lyrae stars and a few delta Scutid stars with large amplitudes with some RR Lyrae stars that exhibit the Blahzko effect as well as some large-amplitude delta Scuti stars that have multiple periods. So it would be great monitoring these stars while not chasing down asteroids.

Collaboration work is the only way to go Roy, its gels people with different skill sets and equipment to work on a specific project in a timely manner otherwise if your doing it by yourself it takes longer (a lot longer sometimes) and can be more frustrating to get the work done.

A recent collaboration project Cherryvalley Observatory worked on was minor planet 4678 Ninian with three other Italian amateur astronomers to determine its spin rate/amplitude which turned out to be around 58 hours, there is no way I could have done this on my own. We hope to have our paper published in the next edition of the Minor Planet Bulletin, so yes working together has great benefits indeed including new friendships, learning from other amateur astronomers and helping you out with observations if the skies are cloudy here, which lets face it is most of the time.

Best wishes and clear skies
Mike

I83 Cherryvalley Observatory

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say; "I WANT TO SEE THE MANAGER".

More
8 years 11 months ago #104140 by KevinSmith
Replied by KevinSmith on topic Congratulations to Mike Foylan
Fantastic news Mike. Great work!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike

More
8 years 11 months ago #104162 by JohnONeill
Replied by JohnONeill on topic Congratulations to Mike Foylan
Hi Mike,

Thats a great find. The light curve certainly looks like a EA eclipsing binary. The dip, from your light-curve, lasts about 2.6 hours. So I think the period would be much greater than 2-4 hours. Has anybody else got more data confirming the nature of the body?

I have my CCD camera off the scope at the moment. I had the urge to back to visual observation of variable stars.

Best of luck in your Variable Star endeavours.

John
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike

More
8 years 11 months ago #104165 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic Congratulations to Mike Foylan
Hi John
Yes, definitely an EA type, I think the period is indicating 15 hours approx but more work needed, looking through the ASAS3, NSVS and CRTS surveys for data.

Best wishes and clear skies
Mike

I83 Cherryvalley Observatory

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say; "I WANT TO SEE THE MANAGER".

More
8 years 11 months ago #104169 by Joergn
Replied by Joergn on topic Congratulations to Mike Foylan
Congratulations
Heard alot from Eamonn

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds