K-Tec

Sligo Astronomy Group

More
8 years 7 months ago #104700 by Frank Ryan
Replied by Frank Ryan on topic Sligo Astronomy Group
I like were this is going. We could end up with a series of observing starparties over the year.
Derek, where do you lads go in Sligo?

My Astrophotography
Shannonside Astronomy Club __________________________________________
Meade ETX-125PE, Bresser 10 x 50 Binos & Me Peepers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #104701 by R Newman
Replied by R Newman on topic Sligo Astronomy Group
Hi

I am involved with the Mayo Dark Skies project for a Dark Sky Park in North West Mayo incompassing the Ballycroy National Park and the new Wild Nephin Wilderness which in total amounts to 280 sq/km and is probably the very loneliest place in this country, for the hills themselves are encircled by this vast area of trackless bog .

As I said most of this is road less and has zero inhabitants making it very dark and our SQM readings are well within the Gold Tier standards. The night sky here is simply amazing just see this image on Google Maps and you will know what I mean about a wilderness goo.gl/maps/0VpBj no houses for miles and a hiking trek through the park can take up to three days.

We should have our Dark Sky Status next year hopefully whenever our light management plan is completed so come the end of October 2016 I'm hoping to put together a three night ((Thurs-Sun)" Wild Nephin Star Party" probably based in the picturesque seaside town of Newport with Hostel accommodation. A great place to sample a taste of West Mayo and with a some good Irish speakers & practical workshop.

Roanan Newman
The following user(s) said Thank You: albertw, michael_murphy, johnomahony

More
8 years 7 months ago #104703 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Sligo Astronomy Group
Great news, Ronan, the prospect of another star party in a truly dark site is exciting, for such a small country to have two extremely dark sites is remarkable, a summer and a winter star party will fantastic.

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #104704 by Frank Ryan
Replied by Frank Ryan on topic Sligo Astronomy Group
Let's not forget the annual Burren Starparty next weekend! :-)
The Burren Starparty
It looks like for DARK SKY, OBSERVING focused starpartys there may be a good yearly breakdown....
Summer: Skelligs Starparty
Autum: Burren Starparty
Winter: Sligo
Spring: ?
Hmmm... well, there is talk of holding an observing starparty in Lough Gur.
I'm obviously biased here as we are the applying for Dark Sky Park accreditation with the IDA,
I know there are other 'starpartys' in Spring and I dont want to ruffle any feathers - but they are more talks orientated / in urban / suburban areas aren't they?

Either way,
It's great to see there is a real interest in getting outside and the eye on the eyepiece.

My Astrophotography
Shannonside Astronomy Club __________________________________________
Meade ETX-125PE, Bresser 10 x 50 Binos & Me Peepers
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by Frank Ryan.

More
8 years 7 months ago #104705 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic Sligo Astronomy Group
Spring? We have Cosmos. Which I think is one of the best too.

Last April, I did 6 hours observing thanks to Seanie.

Aubrey.

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #104706 by R Newman
Replied by R Newman on topic Sligo Astronomy Group
Hi Paul

Ive been out with the lads in Sligo, we used to meet up at the carparks at Lough Talt, a favourite haunt of mine or Lough Easky. I know the lads would be glad to join forces for a Winter Wild Nephin Starparty which will be a Gold Tier site and is much darker then the two previous mentioned locations due to its massive size. Late October or early November would ideal, and of course like Skelligs there would be several talks and practical workshops on the Sat/Sun as I dont fancy the idea of an observing only event.. Skelligs was a brilliant event, the best Irish Starparty in my opinion , I'd like to try something similar on a smaller scale in Mayo, there is also plenty to do and see in the area too as its a huge tourist drawer and along the Wild Atlantic Way.

Ronan
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by R Newman.

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds