Friday, 29th

• Paul-Byrne
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
2 years 45 minutes ago #111156 by Paul-Byrne
Replied by Paul-Byrne on topic Friday, 29th
Glencullen would be no different than the Sugarloaf with regards setting up.
if we decide on the Sugarloaf, can we park in the left side of the parking area, the ground is more level than where we normally park.
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, flt158

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 11 months ago #111157 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic Friday, 29th
That's perfectly fine with me, Paul. 

See you on Friday night at 9pm. 
Sunset occurs at 20.50 Irish Summer Time.
So I should be able to set up my refractor on my own when I arrive without asking one of us to shine a torch. 

Best regards from Aubrey. 

More
1 year 11 months ago #111158 by michael_murphy
Replied by michael_murphy on topic Friday, 29th
So Sugarloaf at 9?  See you then.

Michael.
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158

• Paul-Byrne
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
1 year 11 months ago #111162 by Paul-Byrne
Replied by Paul-Byrne on topic Friday, 29th
I won't be there due to my wife needing the car.  The conditions don't look the best, hopefully I can do some observing from the garden

The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy

More
1 year 11 months ago #111166 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic Friday, 29th
Hello all. 

I started observing at about 9pm. 
The 100% cloud cover ended my session at 11pm. 

1. Immediately I found the planet Mercury becoming buried by the approaching cloud in the western sky with my William Optics 70mm apochromatic refractor at 11x. Then in the William Optics 158mm f/7 apochromatic refractor I counted 7 Pleiades ( M 45) at 40x to Mercury's north. Even though I was witnessing the Mercury - Pleiades conjunction, at no time could I fit both objects in the same field of view. The Pleiades weren't visible in the 70mm apo. And I could not fit both M 45 and Mercury in the same fov at 40x in my 158mm main scope. Mercury's magnitude was +0.3 and its distance was 125,662,756 kilometres from Earth. I couldn't make out its phase because of the cloud.  

2. The great double star Izar (Epsilon Bootis) was visible soon after.Magnitudes: A = 2.6. B = 4.8. Sep = 2.9. PA = 347 degrees. I had no split at 112x and the 2 stars were still touching at 140x. But 167x my scope clearly separated "Pulcherrima". The primary is yellow-orange. B had a slight blue on this occasion.  

3. Regulus was next. Magnitudes: A = 1.4. B = 8.2. Sep = 179.2". PA = 304 degrees. It was nice to see B at 11x in the 70mm apo in the Sugarloaf car park. Normally at home I need 40x with my main scope to see it. 

4. Finally I observed Algieba (Gamma Leonis). Magnitudes: A = 2.4. B = 3.6. Sep = 4.7". PA = 127 degrees. As usual I required 112x to separate A and B. Darren and I both agree that B is more orange than the primary. Although A is still orange all the same. 

Darren showed me M 13 and M 53 the 2 bright globular star clusters with his 10" Dobsonian. 

My thanks to Paul, who couldn't make it, and Michael who was sorting out his camera with Bob.

I was very glad I met up with some of you!   

Let's hope for clear skies for the coming week. 
I have more doubles in Leo to split. 

Very best regards from Aubrey.  

The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, Until_then-Goodnight!

• Until_then-Goodnight!
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
1 year 11 months ago #111171 by Until_then-Goodnight!
Replied by Until_then-Goodnight! on topic Friday, 29th
Thanks for sharing your observations with us Aubrey. While the cloud meant we had to pack-up early, it was great to see you, Michael, and Bob at the Sugarloaf. I was delighted that you managed to observe Mercury with the low cloud. 

I'll stick up my observational reports later on. 

Clear skies, 
Darren. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, flt158

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds