K-Tec

Sugarloaf tonight 10 May 2024?

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #112386 by Fermidox
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #112387 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic Sugarloaf tonight 10 May 2024?
Extremely powerful images from you, Finbarr.
Each one is truly fantastic!
And I don't use that latter word too often.
Huge congratulations to you!

Clear skies from Aubrey.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fermidox

• Until_then-Goodnight!
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
2 months 2 weeks ago #112388 by Until_then-Goodnight!
Replied by Until_then-Goodnight! on topic Sugarloaf tonight 10 May 2024?
Hi Finbarr,

Lovely images - very well done!

Last night was spectacular. Not only did I manage to observe four Lunar occulatations, but the Aurora was a sight to behold.

I arrived to the Sugarloaf at 21:32 IST and set-up my f/5 250mm Newtonian Reflector on a Dobsonian base. At this point there were quite a few people in the car park waiting for the Aurora.

While waiting, I decided to observe the 2.75 day old Moon. I did two quick sketches: One at 50X and the other at 139X. Petavius looked striking with its 1700m central mountain. Langnerus was also on show. In recent times this crater has become a favourite of mine to observe with its little snail like D crater', but the to see four - yes FOUR lunar occultations within a twenty minute period was marvellous. I was joined on the phone with Aubrey who was describing each star and the times they'd disappear - thank you Aubrey.

Aubrey also highlighted a nearby double-star to look at. While we were on hte phone the Aurora started. Greens first appeared, followed by pinks. It ran from East to West putting on a most wonderful show. The number of people in the car park increased quite bit, so I decided to drive to Calray Church only 5 minutes away. This is where I got by best images.

It was very dark, and being by a graveyard was a bit spooky. So when a cat walked up beside me I nearly lost my mind : )

I could also hear russtling coming from the long grass so I made a beeline to the car and drove it like I robbed it : )

When I got home I realised that I left my camera bag behind me. Thankfully, when I returned it was still there - phew!

No doubt last night's observing session will be top of my list of observations for 2024. So, a BIG thank you to Michael Murphy and Aubrey Glazier for notifying me of the Aurora last night - fair play gents!

Clear skies,

Darren.

[img
Calary Church 2 11 May 2024 by Darren Devereux , on Flickr

[img
Calary Church Aurora 3 11 May 2024 by Darren Devereux , on Flickr
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, flt158, Fermidox

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #112389 by Fermidox
Replied by Fermidox on topic Sugarloaf tonight 10 May 2024?
Fantastic reports Aubrey and Darren.

There was literally so much happening, I didn't know which way to turn the camera in the end :D

Finbarr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158, Until_then-Goodnight!

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #112390 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic Sugarloaf tonight 10 May 2024?
Fabulous report from you, Darren.
For the record, Darren observed the double star STF 779. It is an optical double star in Taurus with magnitudes: A = 7.5. B = 9.8. Sep: 8.6". PA: 254 degrees.
Darren can tell you what magnification he used to separate it. By the what STF 779 has never been observed by yours truly. Therefore Darren is one up on me. Great job, Darren!

If you can, Darren, please inform us of the 4 stars you saw occulted. My mind is terribly "rusty" today. I cannot seem to remember which stars they were. I know they were all in Taurus though.

Very best regards from Aubrey.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fermidox, Until_then-Goodnight!

• Until_then-Goodnight!
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
2 months 1 week ago #112391 by Until_then-Goodnight!
Replied by Until_then-Goodnight! on topic Sugarloaf tonight 10 May 2024?
Hello Finbarr and Aubrey,

Many thanks for your messages.

It really was a case of not knowing where to look with so much activity all across the sky. Thanks for providing the name of that lovely double-star Aubrey!

In terms of the stars that went behind the Moon, I beleive these are:

HIP26852

TYC 1869-1798-1

TYC 1869-1757-1

TYC 1869-1593-1

Clear skies,

Darren
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158, Fermidox

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds