K-Tec

Annular Solar Eclipse Pictures

More
18 years 6 months ago #16336 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: Annular Solar Eclipse Pictures
Daniel,

Very nice pix! Scarry how majestic an eclipse can be. Also, one cannot experience enough of them.

Anthony.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 6 months ago #16337 by eansbro
Replied by eansbro on topic Re: Annular Solar Eclipse Pictures
Beautiful shots Daniel. In your bottom shot where the Moon's limb is near contact with the Sun, it looks as if at 85 degrees you have unusual feature showing up.

I suspect with the favourable libration you have imaged the rarely seen Liebnitz Mountain formation. They appear along the limb at a favourable libration. I can't make out the detail on the screen of the profile, but this may show up on your original image. The range can be seen to stretch about 15 degrees. I think the limb hasn't fully made contact, proabaly a few seconds in time may have shown more detail. Its possible on your original image that some of the peaks may show up.

The peaks range from about 17,000 feet up rising to 26,000 to 30,000 feet with the heighest at 33,000 feet. In fact this is the highest mountain on the Moon.

Eamonn A

• eclipsedan
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
18 years 6 months ago #16346 by eclipsedan
Replied by eclipsedan on topic Re: Annular Solar Eclipse Pictures
Thanks everyone :) It was a really great eclipse alright. I'm still surprised each time that the enjoyment doesn't diminish - even after you see totals. Thanks for all the encouraging words. I've done a bit of postprocessing and the shots look better than last night.

Eamonn, I'm sure that it is the Leibnitz range breaking the moon into beads. I didn't realise it was so rare? I'm going to start another thread with a series of the photos showing the beads.

Cheers,

Daniel

• eclipsedan
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
18 years 6 months ago #16431 by eclipsedan
Replied by eclipsedan on topic Re: Annular Solar Eclipse Pictures
Hi Anthony,

Since you seem to get a good amount of photos published, perhaps you could supply me with some of the email addresses of the likes of Sky&Tel or spaceweather.com etc.?

Cheers,

Daniel

More
18 years 6 months ago #16432 by ayiomamitis
Hi Daniel,

I would be happy to assist any way I can.

For SpaceWeather, there is an automated facility in place on the home page (right side of the page) where you fill out a form and identify the file(s) to upload. Dr Philips at one time used to receive direct submissions but has now fallen back to the form exclusively so as to facilitate his preparation of web pages.

As for S&T, there are two parts: (1) there is the image submission form that you must complete and attach with your submission - please see skyandtelescope.com/aboutsky/guidelines/article_451_1.asp - and which I have downloaded locally onto my PC and update with each new submission and (2) send the package (submission form plus low-res image(s)) to gallery@SkyandTelescope.com . There are complete instructions and background information at skyandtelescope.com/aboutsky/guidelines/article_407_1.asp .

Anthony.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
18 years 6 months ago #16433 by ayiomamitis
PS, For very special events such as eclipses (!), timing is most vital and critical since submissions are used immediately for the next available issue. To this end, do not wait a month, for example, to submit eclipse photos! I realize I am being trite but it is something I cannot emphasize enough (I always submit within an hour or two following the completion of a special celestial event so that my work will at least be assessed in time).

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds