K-Tec

here we go again!!! -- country clubs under threat???

More
20 years 3 months ago #1919 by spculleton
Just reread that. I've turned into a right narky fecker haven't I?

One of the disadvantages with our organisation is the committee system. I'm not advocating that we have a real putsch, but it can kill ideas. Look at Mick O'Connells suggestion about observing awards. Great idea, very successful in the States, and just died here on this very forum. Can't we give the IFAS committe more teeth?

Shane Culleton.

Dozo Yoroshiku Onegai Shimasu

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 3 months ago #1922 by Jofus
spculleaton wrote: (Re: AI)

This is a wake up call people. David does a lot of things better than we do. I firmly believe that the one thing we definitely do better than him, Astronomy Ireland, and Astronomy & Space is share the beauty of the night sky with people and excite people about what we are showing them. It's not enough to just keep doing that ocassionally. We need to fight this encroachment, and win.

No you dont. You have already won! Different types of organisations for different sorts of people. The passing interest may well gravitate to AI and the more ardent enthusiast (hmmmm define that?) will probably join one of the many other excellent bodies out there. And dont forget the enthusiast will find them anyway even if A&S ignores their existance.

You may want to see my other post on this (well related) issue.

Regards

John Flynn

That which does not kill us makes us stronger.

More
20 years 3 months ago #1927 by albertw

then a mail shot comes from them regarding the Porrimma occultation giving out details about the occultation when previously they would have said "call 1550 ..." He could only stay on the backfoot for so long.

So perhaps someone did read the press release I sent out about thet afterall :)

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
20 years 3 months ago #1933 by lionsden
Replied by lionsden on topic Hi out there!
Hi out there! I guess I'm the newest member here. I'm a complete newcomer to astronomy (about a month) and I can't get enough of it.

I've just found this web-site tonight and had to join in. One thing that suprises me, is that in any of the Irish web-sites I've visited is the complete distain for AI, although, new as I am, I have to admit that my first perception of them is they seem more intrested in money than astronomy, ie ring their premium rate hot-line for info that can be found elsewhere on the web for free. As for their telescope prices!!!!

Leo @ Lionsden
Perhap because light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

More
20 years 3 months ago #1934 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Hi out there!

Hi out there! I guess I'm the newest member here. I'm a complete newcomer to astronomy (about a month) and I can't get enough of it.

Welcome aboard! I think a lot of people here could confess to not being able to get enough astronomy (or perhaps being able to get too many clouds!).

Just in case you didnt see the link there is a downloadable magazine published by the IFAS availble on this site from www.irishastronomy.org/user_resources/viewFiles.php?folder_id=3

This gives you information on whats visible in the night sky etc. And if you have any questions, answers, or would like to share any of your observations then please post!

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
20 years 3 months ago #1935 by lionsden
Thanks for the welcome... and the link!

As I said before, I'm completely new to this so I'd be grateful forany tips, hints or advice that anyone can give me. I've decided to start out with 10x50 binoculars and Patrick moores book "Exploring the Night Sky with Binoculars". I do have a telescope (of sorts). It's a Tacsco 60mm but I've pretty much given up on it. However, it did give me my firsts view of Saturn and it's rings so I shouldn't complain.... anyway, all advice welcome.

Leo @ lionsden.

Leo @ Lionsden
Perhap because light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds