• Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
19 years 11 months ago #3273 by dave_lillis
Shannonside Astronomy Club Transit Report was created by dave_lillis
Hi All,
Wasn't it a fabulous specticle.
We arrived up at the observing site in Boher at 5.20(10 miles south of Limerick city), plenty of time to set up our equipment and debate whether to remain there or to go elsewhere, the cloud cover at that stage was high.
At 6.28, gaps appeared and we could see Venus was half on the disk, it stayed clear until 6.41 when Venus was fully on the disk but the black drop effect was not clear due to high cloud.
The sky cleared again at 8.12-8.16, 8.54- 9.20 and 10.51 untill the end of the transit (on and off) where we got almost the entire last 40 minutes clear.
We saw the third and fourth contact and this time the black drop effect was visible.
The transit was attended by myself, Tony O'Hanlon, Con Buckley, Vincent Kenny and family (+3), Scott and Linda Baker, Harry MacCarthy, Michael O'Connell, Brendan Quirke and family (+1) and last but not least Pat Casey.
We had an 8 inch Dob, a 12" SCT, 2 8"SCTs an ETX90 and a halpha scope (all scopoes had solar filters), through which everyone got a good look.
We were amazed with the weather, I was not optomistic when I saw the forecast.
All pics will be on the Shannonside site in the next few days , and will be shown in the club meeting on Wednesday (9th of June).
I'd like to say thanks to all who attended and made it a brilliant day.
It was a great day, never to be repeated. :P :P

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds