K-Tec

Poor Club Coverage Despite Recent Events - Can IFAS Help?

More
19 years 10 months ago #3327 by albertw
Hi,

I havent read the full thread here but one thing that does need to be sorted out is to have an IFAS PR person.

Just having the person isnt enough however, the clubs need to activly co-operate with them. The transit is a good example of where there was a national/international event, and trying to get information from the clubs about events was like pulling teeth. I appreciate that organising events is hard, and that having this done well in advance and publicised is harder, however some of the information on the venustransit.ie site about club contacts & events was taken from clubs websites as I never got any replies from some clubs, perhaps some people may have thought I was stepping on their toes, apologies if it came across that way! If the IFAS committee had a dedicated PR person to handle the national media, this would in no way affect clubs doing their local PR, a list of who contacts who could easily be drawn up.

There is also the point about whether IFAS should be doing this at all, up orth the IAA handle the BBC/UTV so there is merit for suggesting that the national work down south should be the domain of the IAS - again leaving regional media to regional clubs. From a media perspective they have one person to go talk to A&S about, who do they call when they want to talk to someone else?

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
19 years 10 months ago #3343 by Seanie_Morris
Another tip for all of us out there: Use the IFAS logo where you can, and even your own clubs logo etc, and promote it as much as you can when out with members of the public.

For example:
TAS has been asked to give talks to the kids in the summer camps in the youth center down here, 3 in all. I am giviing the first one tomorrow.

To keep it interesting for them, I'm going to have a quiz as I go along. The answer sheets have the TAS logo and IFAS logo at the top of them.

I'm also going to get them to do a questionnaire for a few minutes (do you like astronomy/study science in school/have a tlescope/heard of our club/IFAS etc etc) with logos and information on the sheets, and ask their opinions.

AND, I've made up some vouchers for free membership for the winners of the quiz (as well as a pair of those €10 boniculars in Aldi's last week) with free issues of Realta - and if they don't want to join, to encourage them to give them to someone who does.

Places like Limerick, Wexford, Cork... in fact, nearly all large towns, would have summer camps running. Get in touch with the organisers and offer to give free colourful slide shows, telescope demos, and maybe even a few freebies!

Whats it going to cost? A couple of €€€'s and 2 hours...

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
19 years 10 months ago #3345 by michaeloconnell
Sounds like a good idea Seanie.

However, what would happen in the event that a few of the childen wanted to join the club? Some people would have mixed views on that issue. Personally it wouldn't bother me but others might have a different view...

However, your idea of using the summer camps is a good idea.

Michael

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
19 years 10 months ago #3347 by Seanie_Morris

Sounds like a good idea Seanie.

However, what would happen in the event that a few of the childen wanted to join the club? Some people would have mixed views on that issue. Personally it wouldn't bother me but others might have a different view...

However, your idea of using the summer camps is a good idea.

Michael

How do you mean Mike? If many of the kids wanted to join, it would be great!
TAS had the first Junior Section in operation specialy for Under 14's about 14 years ago, but faded out a few years later. This might be the perfect opportunity to find out if there is an adolescent interest in astronomy in Tullamore, and get the Junior section up and running again.

S.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.

More
19 years 10 months ago #3348 by michaeloconnell
Junior section...hadn't though of that.
Good idea!

Michael

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
19 years 10 months ago #3372 by Seanie_Morris

Junior section...hadn't though of that.
Good idea!

Michael

Has any other club had/has a Junior Section (before)?

Ever think of starting one up?

S?

Midlands Astronomy Club.

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds