K-Tec

New Dungarvan/Waterford County Club

More
19 years 9 months ago #3905 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: New Dungarvan/Waterford County Club
Well Conor,
like every venture of this kind, it can be both exciting and nerve wracking! As you said, B&L will only accept a small number of people attending their fascilities etc for meetings. I would think that as a company they would not be disappointed by the move to have a Waterford (or similar) Astronomical Club (The WAC??), as I presume it costs them nothing to host the BLAS, or make money from it. Correct me if I'm wrong on that.
I would actually say they would encourage it, as in the sense that they would encourage growth among yourselves to thrive in whatever way you can to bring a new source of interest to the area, and not in the sense that the burden on B&L would be lifted.

Good luck with your new venture lads!

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 9 months ago #3906 by Liam
Replied by Liam on topic New Club in Waterford
I think Conor has explained the position very well indeed. Knowing both Conor and Eugene as I do, I think these two clubs will co exist very well together and I see no "competition" between them. BLAS is essentially for employees of the Company with us others thankful to be welcomed as invited guests.

The real winner here will be Astronomy and public interest and participation in the hobby in the south east. BLAS have been very good and welcoming to the likes of me and others who are not employees of B and L and long may that continue. I am also a member of Astronomy Ireland and I dont have any problem getting involved with the new club.

However, to respond to Dave's question which is a very reasonable one... "can the area support two clubs?".... the answer I beleve is yes beacuse the BLAS club is in essence not a public club.. not open to anyone outside the company to join.

The one thing which I believe is missing from the Waterford situation is POLITICS........... Thank goodness!!!!!!!

Liam

More
19 years 9 months ago #3907 by ctr
Replied by ctr on topic Re: New Club in Waterford

The one thing which I believe is missing from the Waterford situation is POLITICS........... Thank goodness!!!!!!!

Liam

agreed

Each of us is here on earth for a reason, and each of us has a special mission to carry out - Maria Shriver

More
19 years 9 months ago #3909 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: New Dungarvan/Waterford County Club
Consider yourselves lucky!
:wink:

Michael

More
19 years 9 months ago #3910 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: New Dungarvan/Waterford County Club
Here-here!

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• Eugene Burke
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
19 years 9 months ago #3911 by Eugene Burke
Replied by Eugene Burke on topic Re: New Dungarvan/Waterford County Club
I was thinking of Waterford And County Observing Society
IE WACOS ,to Those of a non Waterford City origin BLAS is a very "cryptic " title as a BLA is a soft white bread bun only found in the city, whereas we have found an awful lot of WACOS all over the place !!!
Eugene

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds