• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
19 years 8 months ago #4217 by Seanie_Morris
TAS barbeque a success. was created by Seanie_Morris
Hi folks,

TAS held its barbeque last night under clear warm skies, and planty of fun and observing all around. I was asked by the photographer for the papers who came out to write a peice for them, so, as a report of the night, I have copied and pasted it to here too.

>>>In a field far away from light pollution, gathered round a small observatory was a group of enthusiasts spending their Saturday night gazing upon the heavens, and taking a break now and again to cook on the barbeque! Such was the scene at Tullamore Astronomical Society’s observing site on the outskirts of Tullamore on Saturday night of the 14th.

The event coincided with the annual Perseids Meteor Shower, one of the best showers displaying many dazzling bright meteors during its peak. Even though every year this shower peaks on August 12th (a Thursday this year), TAS decided to have the barbeque on the Saturday night to allow those attending to stay up as late as they want, cook their favourite food over the glowing charcoal, and gaze upon some of the most splendid objects to be found in the cosmos with a few modest telescopes and binoculars.

From around 10pm as the sky grew dark, members came out to help set up the barbeque and telescopes - some even setting up tents to camp over for the night. It was a free event hosted by TAS, the only conditions being that you bring your own food, and have some fun!

Albert White from the Irish Astronomical Society in Dublin visited with his internet-connected laptop to find predictions online of where to look for Iridium flares – satellites high up in space that turn as they orbit. When they turn a certain way and catch the light of the sun, they reflect it to the observers point on the ground. The result is a brief but very bright and luminous display for only a few seconds, before it disappears from site again. He was also able to show some novices who came along, where to look for the Andromeda Galaxy, The Lagoon Nebula, and many distant star clusters.

Ronan Newman of the Galway Astronomy Club also attended. He brought his sturdy binoculars, and allowed others there to view the Triangulum Galaxy, one of his favourites, through the instrument.

TAS member Shane Culleton from Portlaoise brought his state-of-the-art 8 inch Meade telescope, and showed many deep sky objects up close. Some locals who attended were astounded by what they could see. Many were surprised, and pleased, just to have a clear dry night.

“We did not think that we would be so lucky with the way the weather has been in the past week”, says Sean Morris. “With the Irish weather, we get about 1 clear night in 5 during the year, so it worked out perfectly for us.”
John Flannery from South Dublin Astronomical Society took advantage of the clear skies, to point out celestial objects to those around him, showing them up close in his binoculars.

The night was not without celebration of a sort, as TAS member Girvan McKay celebrated his birthday that day!

On the night of maximum, Thursday 12th, some TAS members stayed out at the observatory to watch the stars fall. David Daly, Sean Morris, Michael O’Connell, Shane Culleton, and Mark Hurson all braved the cool summer’s night. It was a clear night, despite very heavy rain falling only hours before. Each member recorded their observations, and it was agreed that there were in excess of 120 meteors per hour seen, confirming the Perseids as the best annual meteor shower. At 12:22am, an amazing sight occurred in the sky - they all saw a fireball burn up in the sky. With a bright green colour to it, the tail or ion trail left behind remained visible for 17 seconds – what must seem like a record for such an object.

Around 30 people in total attended on Saturday night, in what is hoped to be the start of a new season of astronomical observing sessions in Tullamore. TAS would like to thank those who organised the event – Sean Morris, Bob Campbell, and Girvan and Maire McKay. TAS’s new season of classes and lectures in astronomy and allied subjects gets under way again on Monday September 13th in the Order of Malta Training Room in the Tanyard. See their website for more information.<<<<

The camping was fun too, we had no rain, and are far enough from the main road to get a nice nap before breakfast! The photos the photographer took will be posted on the TAS website soon. I'll scan in a copy of the article(s) when they're printed.

Cheers,

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 8 months ago #4220 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: TAS barbeque a success.
Seanie,
Thats a great write up, but alas I was just not able to go, even if the weather had been forecast as excellent.

See you at Birr (I presume).

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
19 years 8 months ago #4221 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: TAS barbeque a success.

Seanie,
Thats a great write up, but alas I was just not able to go, even if the weather had been forecast as excellent.

See you at Birr (I presume).

Thanks Dave, and yep, I'll be there (on Saturday anyway).

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
19 years 8 months ago #4224 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: TAS barbeque a success.

Albert White from the Irish Astronomical Society in Dublin visited with his internet-connected laptop to find predictions online of where to look for Iridium flares – satellites high up in space that turn as they orbit. When they turn a certain way and catch the light of the sun, they reflect it to the observers point on the ground. The result is a brief but very bright and luminous display for only a few seconds, before it disappears from site again.

We were lucky enough to get a mag -8 flare when everyone was there too!

Here are the observatory coordinates if you want to plug them into heavens above for future.

N 53° 14' 58.8"
W 007° 29' 02.8"

Thanks for organising the bbq.

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
19 years 8 months ago #4226 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: TAS barbeque a success.
hi Sean, Deirdre, and everyone who organised the night . . . many thanks for a great evening of friends and observing. Looking forward to seeing everyone at Birr. Wish Girvan a belated happy birthday for me too!

John

More
19 years 8 months ago #4227 by spculleton
Replied by spculleton on topic Re: TAS barbeque a success.
I just want to add my voice to everyone else's and thank Seanie an all at TAS for a couple of great night's observing. The Thursday night was really special for the Perseids, particularly the 17 second trail. That one beggared belief, and don't forget later that night when a small cloud passing through the bowl of the dipper got lit up by a bright persied, possible even a fireball.

The TAS site is really impressive (I even got the underside of my car cleaned by the high grass in the middle of the road!) and the darkness of the sky was great. The Milky Way was awesome. Thanks again to Seanie for a great night and to John F for a burger just when I needed it!

Shane Culleton.

Dozo Yoroshiku Onegai Shimasu

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds