K-Tec

J41 - Raheny Observatory.

More
16 years 8 months ago #50909 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: J41 - Raheny Observatory.

[
Blackrock and Galway would be two obvious missing professional observatories.

Al, I don't think they are "professional" in the strictest of terms - academic maybe, but not professional. They certainly have been issued with IAU observatory codes anyhow. So presumably, either the IAU knows nothing about them or they don't deem them 'professional' a la Armagh, Dunsink etc.

That said, I'm surprised that at least Galway hasn't submitted data to the MPC and received a code. I know some of the academic research carried out there has certainly concentrated on asteroids...

Blackrock - not sure how "up and running" that is. Recent visits to their webapge give nothing away...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 8 months ago #50910 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: J41 - Raheny Observatory.

That said, I'm surprised that at least Galway hasn't submitted data to the MPC and received a code. I know some of the academic research carried out there has certainly concentrated on asteroids...

Mike Redfern refers to it as a small professional observatory. Though I think its mainly used for teaching rather than research. Getting it registered would seem to be a good project for some student.

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
16 years 8 months ago #50951 by darren
Replied by darren on topic Re: J41 - Raheny Observatory.
Thats great news well deserved
regards Darren :lol:

More
10 years 4 months ago #99573 by Fermidox
Replied by Fermidox on topic Re: J41 - Raheny Observatory.

dmcdona wrote: Just out of interest, I noted that Markree still holds an observatory code...I'm not even sure when it last was in operation.

Anyone know?

Sorry to resurrect this zombie thread, but I've been reading up plenty about Markree and it's last observation was back in 1902.

So it looks like once you have an observatory code, you have it for eternity :-)

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds