K-Tec

Therapy?

More
19 years 5 months ago #5729 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Therapy?
Cool! Now that there's a rant thread...

I don't mean to brag, but when I was a young teenager, and much younger than your average lecturer, I gave a lecture at WSP in 1992 or 93. (ok, its a small brag! :) ). It was about the Shuttle... anyone remember?

At the dinner on Saturday night, guess who I get landed to sit beside??? You have 3 guesses, and the first 2 don't count...

Anyway, he kept going on and on and on about Astronomy Ireland, and this youth astronomy camp he was hoping to set up to be Ireland's only junior section. I can safely vouch right now that at the time, TAS was the only club that had a Junior Section.

Geeze he really tired me out with all his ranting about it... I never gave him a second glance again. THATS why, and Bart will probably remember this, I try to NOT be affiliated with AI. The reason Bart may remember is when Astro2 was founded by us among others, I would try and persuade the others to NOT be a Maynooth branch of AI!

Al's description of the split is pretty accurate. David Moore just wasn't getting his way. I am not a begrudger of AI because they make profit. Hell, I as Secretary am even trying to help TAS make as much money as possible so we can try and get things like a bigger scope, fix the Observatory etc etc. BUT, all the committee is involved... and thats how it should be.

Prices - crazy

Distinction - not clear enough, and is only there to fool pople.

Empowerment of members - there are only 400 of them.

Astronomy Ireland is a ploy, is a con, and is NOT a club.

More rants later.

:)

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds