K-Tec

Venus Transit

More
20 years 2 months ago #2087 by Greenflashman
Replied by Greenflashman on topic Venus Transit
Hi All,
As there is no Total Solar Eclipse this year the ecliptomaniacs have decided ( as Chris already hinted at) to travel to Egypt to view the transit of Venus. Chris is currently pricing up some trips there and if anyone is interested you can get in touch with him through our web site or through this forum.
We have been to Egypt in August and it was very hot but it was a dry heat and not this humid heat which really drains you. We just thought that Egypt would be a historically interesting place to be for a transit.
Good practice for Libya in 2006 as well by the way.
Regards,
Brian 8)

"There is a theory that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. Another theory states that this has already happened."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 2 months ago #2105 by cobyrne
Replied by cobyrne on topic Re: Venus Transit
I've been looking at the climate statistics for Cairo , which indicate that in June, the climate is not that much different to August (when we were there), and the humidity is actually less than it was!

In August 1999, it was indeed hot, but it was a very very comfortable hot. So I suspect that it will be even more comfortable in June, unless the temperatures soars to the sort of 46 celsius high that's listed in that table!

More
20 years 2 months ago #2107 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: Venus Transit
Dear Friends,

Another possibility, slightly hinted above, is Greece where we have excellent clear skies from April all the way to November. I do know that Sky&Tel is planning a tour package at the Ionian islands (Greek western coast) as well as another tour from Vic and Jen Winter at the island of Santorini (south of the mainland and north of Crete).

Although our temperatures are quite high in June, I would like to emphasize that we also have dry heat which makes the high temperatures much more bearable.

Just my two (euro)cents ....

Anthony.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds