Tsunami Charity Event

• spculleton
  • Topic Author
  • Super-Nova
  • Super-Nova
More
19 years 4 months ago #7786 by spculleton
Replied by spculleton on topic Re: Tsunami Charity Event
Thanks guys, that's very kind of you, but I'm doing nothing compared to the people who have travelled out there. Sharon and I were in Phuket nearly four years ago and it really was a lovely little part of the world. It was actually while we were in Thailand that we discovered she was pregnant with our first child, so I suppose we feel some kind of connection to the place that is a bit special.

Anyway, I have press releases sent out to a few media organisations to try to get some public awareness of our humble efforts. To make these events work though we really need people to make the effort to organise their telescope nights. So far it's just TAS and SDAS that have really committed themselves. Let's make this a truly national event lads. If clubs could send locations and contact details to me I can get them into as many newspapers, and onto as many radio and TV programmes as possible. We will get support from the media, but more especially from the general public, but we have to be there for them.

As regards the table quiz, while it is taking part locally (to me anyway), I would be thrilled to see IFAS members trekking from all over the country to take part. Wouldn't it be great to see a team from each of the clubs getting involved? I'll also need people to act as correctors, collectors, and general helpers for the evening. I can put up a few people (I have two spare double beds, two spare couches, and a luxurious floor with lovely deep-pile carpet) but not everyone. Those who do help out, and stay over, can look forward to a glorious fry-up from myself as a thank you on the Sunday morning. Singed eyebrows come as standard.

Seriously though, come on lads and ladies, help me out. Please.

Shane Culleton.

Dozo Yoroshiku Onegai Shimasu

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 4 months ago #7795 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Tsunami Charity Event
I'll be there anyway Shane as I'm not too far away. If you need any help with anything, just let me know what I can do.

More
19 years 4 months ago #7802 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Tsunami Charity Event
Cant' - work.

Have we a date to think about for the Charity Observing?

Seanie

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• spculleton
  • Topic Author
  • Super-Nova
  • Super-Nova
More
19 years 4 months ago #7804 by spculleton
I've sent out details to as many club secretaries as I can find, although Cork AS's email address eludes me. Can anyone help out?

Shane Culleton.

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
19 years 4 months ago #7818 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Tsunami Charity Event
Hi Guys,

You guys should know that Astronomy Ireland are running a comet watch on 13 Jan. The AI committee have decided that all monies raised by this event will go to the Irish Red Cross (at least that seems to be the favoured charity at the mo). I hope this doesnt upset anyone. However I think you'll agree with me that this is about getting money to where its needed. DM will be publicising this during the week. I wanted you to here this before it goes public. I will be supporting both this event and any event which you guys propose.

Regards,

Dave.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

• spculleton
  • Topic Author
  • Super-Nova
  • Super-Nova
More
19 years 4 months ago #7820 by spculleton
Hey David,

Thanks for letting us know about this, although I did get David's email yesterday. As you say, the main thing is that people are giving their time and energy for a good cause. It is a pity that we can't seem to work together on this, as the public aren't likely to go out and donate money on Thursday night, and then again on the Friday night. I suppose though, it just means that if the weather goes against us all on Thursday, then we might have better luck on Friday. As long as people make the effort, that's the main thing.

Shane Culleton.

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds