K-Tec

Telescope presentation to Reverend Grattan Bannister Schull

• ei5fk
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
20 years 6 months ago #798 by ei5fk
The presentation of a new 5" telescope to Grattan in Schull tonight October 18th went down very well, delighted to see so many present for such an important occasion, well done to all who travelled so far including Terry and John O Neill
Charles Coughlan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 6 months ago #803 by Seanie_Morris
Well I have to say that that is a very nice present to give Rev. Grattan! I remember when we (TAS) invited him as a guest speaker to one of the Astrofest's about 6 (or maybe more) years ago.... Sean McKenna was to post him details of Tullamore and the Astrofest programme, but didn't have his mailing address. He simply put Rev Grattan Bannister, West Cork on the envelope, and he received it in 2 days! He actually said most people just put "Rev Grattan Bannister, Cork" on their mail!!!

Well done, and Happy Observing Reverend!

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
20 years 6 months ago #805 by albertw
Hi,

Please excuse my never dimishing ignorance, but who is Reverend Grattan Bannister and why did he get presented with a 5" telescope?

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

• ei5fk
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
20 years 6 months ago #808 by ei5fk
Replied by ei5fk on topic Reverend Grattan Bannister
Reverend Grattan Bannister, a retired Protestant Clergyman living in Ballydehob, he is one of just 2 honourary members in our club and an avid astronomer, a learned, ecumenical gentleman who has given some fasaniting lectures to our club, studies cepheid variable stars, he is the secretary of the local GAA club heavily involved in the local scene, languages include Latin/Greek/Irish.....one of the "old school" and I must say a pleasure to know.
Circumstances mean that it would not be possible for Grattan to get a scope of this size for probably another year and it was felt that he deserved a little bit of help.
Want to know more........I will let the people that know him add to the above
Charles Coughlan

• ei5fk
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
20 years 6 months ago #809 by ei5fk
Replied by ei5fk on topic Telescope presentation
Will have images on the Cork Astronomy Club's website later tonight

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds