• Eugene Burke
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
19 years 2 months ago #8664 by Eugene Burke
DAS Next Meeting (waterford area) was created by Eugene Burke
Hi Folks
Meeting Bridgie Terries Bar 2000h MON 7th (on N25 3ml east of Dungarvan)Will be having subsequent meeting in Waterford city,
Btw Jan Cap will be coming down with his astrophoto gear end of Mar/April ,date depends on getting a settled spell of weather.
Eugene

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Eugene Burke
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
19 years 2 months ago #9257 by Eugene Burke
Replied by Eugene Burke on topic Re: DAS Next Meeting (waterford area)
Hi Folks
We have formalised our meeting roster it will be the 1st Mon of every month/ the next will be in WIT at 8pm (room to be posted) where we will start off with a talk by DAS member Eamon Molloy (physics lecturer WIT) on Newtonian Laws, calculus and other relevant info (in laymans terms) then we will introduce and commence the IFAS Observing challenges and have a general chat and an observing session after weather permitting ,if not, a lenghty discussion in the WIT bar on various topics (astronomy related of course)
Meetings will alternate between Dungarvan and Waterford City check out our website www.deiseastronomy.com for further details
DAS also gave its first Primary School Lecture this week to local School ,on foot of DAS articles in local papers, 60 pupils for 1hr 45min,and it was great ,teachers told me that it set records for continuous attention span,but it really shows their interest,and I did nothing on computers,I brought in my scopes after the talk and they were thrilled.
We need to cultivate their enthusiasm as a priority,check out "School Lecture" on www.deiseastronomy.com forum.
PS I know that some people dont like it when the Moon is up ,but tonight I had some of the steadiest seeing for a long time and had a friend and her 4 kids over to see the moon and Saturn really close up and their reactions were brilliant ,it makes it all worthwhile
Eugene

More
19 years 2 months ago #9362 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: DAS Next Meeting (waterford area)
Eugene,
I am glad you have had such a great success with the schools down there! I know you asked some of us for tips about what to do with the kids and all that, but would you mind perhaps giving us a brief diary of your 2 hours with them? Perhaps we could use your efforts as a guide for when some of us are going back to the schools!

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• Eugene Burke
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
19 years 1 month ago #9821 by Eugene Burke
Replied by Eugene Burke on topic Re: DAS Next Meeting (waterford area)
Hi All
Next meeting will be in WIT Waterford Mon next ,7th Feb at 8pm in the Physics lab B 18 . See you all there
Eugene :D

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds