K-Tec

Say hello to Z72 Cademuir Observatory!

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #98891 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Say hello to Z72 Cademuir Observatory!

eansbro wrote: Mike, I think there is now 13 observatory codes in Ireland.

Yes, there are 13 in total on the Island now:

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by albertw. Reason: Updated with proper coords based on parallax constants
The following user(s) said Thank You: michaeloconnell, nectarine

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago #98910 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: Say hello to Z72 Cademuir Observatory!
Congrats to Albert and the rest of the gang for the thirteen codes. Such a number is a fine testament to the work and dedication in Ireland.

Anthony.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
10 years 7 months ago #99120 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Say hello to Z72 Cademuir Observatory!
Albert - apologies for such a tardy reply. I saw your emails when you were finalising your submission but work committements prevented me from sticking my oar in. That may have been a good thing ;) Besides, Dave and Michael are obviously well up to the task. Though I suspect they simply confirmed that your data was good to go.

What does Cademuir mean? And I've assumed, in the list below, it is in Dublin...

Of course, it goes without saying that it really is a great honour and a testament to a lot of hard work to receive an Observatory Code. Not only does it take some time to build an observatory and assemble, test and tweak imaging equipment, you then have to figure out exactly how to get through the MPC process. So many congratulations Albert - a very well deserved recognition of all that work.

On a final note, I am however somewhat uncomfortable with this latest code. The Z disgnation is fine - but the Irish observatories totalling 13, even though I'm not normally superstitious, does make me nervous. So, who will take up the challenge for the next Z code and calm my nerves?

Many congratulations again Albert.
Dave

Current list of IAU/MPC Irish Observatories (let me know of any discrepencies please and if anyone knows the dates of designation of the first three observatories, I'd be grateful).
Designation Year - Code - (Observatory Name and/or Place, Observatory Director/Owner/Operator)

01. YYYY - 981 (Armagh)
02. YYYY - 982 (Dunsink, Dublin)
03. YYYY - 977 (Markree, Sligo)
04. March 2006 – J65 (Celbridge, Kildare, Dave McDonald)
05. May 2006 – J62 (Kingsland, Roscommon, Eamonn Ansbro)
06. June 2006 – J61 (Brownstown, Meath, Kevin Sweeney)
07. September 2007 – J41 (Raheny, Dublin, Dave Grennan)
08. January 2009 – J16 (An Carraig, Down, Kieran Rooney)
09. May 2009 – J09 (Balbriggan, Dublin, Carl O'Beirnes)
10. October 2010 – I90 (Blackrock Castle, Cork)
11. October 2010 – I87 (Astroshot, Kildare, Michael O'Connell)
12. February 2011 – I83 (Cherryvalley, Meath, Mike Foylan)
13. September 2013 - Z72 (Cademuir, Dublin, Albert White)

More
10 years 7 months ago #99124 by phoenix
Replied by phoenix on topic Re: Say hello to Z72 Cademuir Observatory!
I love the map Albert. If you showed that to the World Health Organisation they would put a travel restriction to the Dublin area. Sooner or later anybody using a CCD over here is going to come down with a serious case of MPC. :rock:

Kieran
16" ODK (incoming), Mesu Mount 200, APM TMB 80mm, SXV H16, SXV H9
J16 An Carraig Observatory
ancarraigobservatory.co.uk/

More
10 years 7 months ago #99131 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Say hello to Z72 Cademuir Observatory!

dmcdona wrote: Albert - apologies for such a tardy reply. I saw your emails when you were finalising your submission but work committements prevented me from sticking my oar in. That may have been a good thing ;) Besides, Dave and Michael are obviously well up to the task. Though I suspect they simply confirmed that your data was good to go.

What does Cademuir mean? And I've assumed, in the list below, it is in Dublin...

Thanks Dave! I figured you were busy. Michael was able to show me how best to check the data and help with the email format and Dave was able to give me some pointers to get astrometrica to work with my noisy DSLR images.

The name is simply the house name of my mothers house where the observatory is located and yes it's in Dublin (Dalkey). The previous owner named it after a hill in Scotland I think.

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds