K-Tec

Speed of LIght may have changed........

More
19 years 2 weeks ago #11181 by lionsden
Replied by lionsden on topic Re: Speed of LIght may have changed........

With all these changes in relativity going on, perhaps the conclusions and press release were issued before the paper? :lol:

Or perhaps the paper was released before the press release but gossip in the media travels faster than electrons on the abstract services :-)

I knew you were going say that, I read it before you typed it! :lol:

Leo @ Lionsden
Perhap because light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 2 weeks ago #11185 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Speed of LIght may have changed........
Don't say anymore Leo! You're disturbing the space-time continuum!

More
19 years 2 weeks ago #11212 by owen
Replied by owen on topic Papers
If anyone's interested, this story comes from a string of papers published since, I think, 1997. They are all on the arxiv.org/ website. The earliest one I downloaded was arxiv.org/pdf/astro-ph/9709227 . There are a lot I looked at, and if anyone wants, I'll dig up the URLs I still have.

BTW, they don't mention the speed of light, but mainly the fine structure constant, or other fundamental constants (all linked though).

Owen

More
19 years 1 week ago #11223 by cobyrne
Replied by cobyrne on topic Re: Speed of LIght may have changed........
Actually, it's not possible for the speed of light to change. The metre is defined on the basis of the speed of light in a vacuum being exactly 299,792,458 metres per second.

So, if light starts to travel faster, the metre just gets longer! (It's not possible for the second to get shorter, as it is defined on another physical basis - a caesium atom and 9,192,631,770 Hz).

More
19 years 1 week ago #11225 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: Speed of LIght may have changed........

Actually, it's not possible for the speed of light to change. The metre is defined on the basis of the speed of light in a vacuum being exactly 299,792,458 metres per second.

So, if light starts to travel faster, the metre just gets longer! (It's not possible for the second to get shorter, as it is defined on another physical basis - a caesium atom and 9,192,631,770 Hz).

However, a change in the fine structure constant will effect the caesium atom so that will effect the second so the speed will change!

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds