K-Tec

Sunshine : the physics behind. no spoilers so dont worry!

More
17 years 1 month ago #43910 by dave_lillis
Its real science fiction, with a serious emphasis on the fiction part, its no more real then 2 guys saving the world by uploading a virus :lol:

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• fguihen
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
17 years 1 month ago #43912 by fguihen

What year is the movie set in?

Made in 2006, set in the same year.

its actually set about 50 - 60 years into the future. the director set it then as its possible some mindboggling new physics could have been discovered, and also the technology in the movie wouldnt look too alien, and more close to what were used to. im still confused, how would setting off a nuclear explosion in the sun help. even if you could set off that huge of a blast, it would only last for a few seconds. would they not be better "transporting" finding some way to get huge quantities of hydrogen into the sun ( wormhole from some nebula, or another distant star with no planets or life orbiting it)? i feel im lacking in understanding of how matter reacts within the sun.

"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." Dilbert.

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
17 years 1 month ago #43921 by DaveGrennan

im still confused, how would setting off a nuclear explosion in the sun help. even if you could set off that huge of a blast, it would only last for a few seconds.

Poetic Licence Fintan, in the movies the science doesn't have to make sense. Now let's see them disprove this on Mythbusters!

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
17 years 1 month ago #43925 by SunCrazy
appart from the fact that there would be no warhead on Earth big enough to do this... and oh dear me lets hope they will not manage to make them that big in the future... but how would they get this thing to the core without being destroyed prematurely due to high temperatures ? Also the corona might be very thin... but it still would have to pass through it.... not sure if a warhead no matter how sophisticated would survive a few million degrees celcius...

so as said here already before Science-fiction with a lot of fiction ...

but it probably will have great special effects... and is that not the main reason for watching such films ? Just make sure to remove you brain before you go to the cinema - leave the brain in a tupperware box in the fridge and re-insert after seeing the film.... be carefull with brain-freeze though :D

• fguihen
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
17 years 1 month ago #43929 by fguihen
one more question though. lets forget its all science fiction and just pretend that a warhead could be gotten into the suns core. wouldnt a warhead only last a few seconds? im i correct in thinking they would have to deposit unimaniginable amounts of hydrogen or helium to buy any real time, while also removing some of the elements of heavier mass to keep the sun stable and balanced? am i mising something here that would allow a giant warhead to keep the sun alive?

"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." Dilbert.

More
17 years 1 month ago #43933 by jhoare
It's a disaster movie. The story is probably written by arts majors. If it's entertaining sit back and enjoy it, if not get up and walk away. But don't expect it to make sense (except in the 'poetic' sense, or would that be expecting too much of Hollywood?).

And if that doesn't work, pour yourself a drink. :)

John

Better that old people should die of talk than to have young people die in war.

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds