The Big Bang

• pj30something
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
16 years 3 months ago #58383 by pj30something
Replied by pj30something on topic Re: The Big Bang
Well we don't know but there are several theories.

One is that the "universe" oscillates. So the big ban was somehow created by a big crunch from the last one.

From the last WHAT?

You cant make something out of nothing.

I know of the theory that the universe will expand (as it is doing) and one day may come to a point where it implodes on itself and start the whole process over.

*least i THINK thats what i read*.

It will expand for so long and then start to come together once again until it reaches a point where it is all but one and another big bang will happen once again

I'm getting dizzy thinking about it.

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 3 months ago #58400 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: The Big Bang

Drat... and I'd just settled on a title for my doctoral thesis: "The Universe, and Everything Outside it."

I guess my PhD's going to have to wait a little longer... mutter, mutter, mutter...

Phil, you're a man before your time, you're talent is wasted at our current level of technology, just give it a few more hundred years and you could be another Albert Einstein. :wink: :lol:

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
16 years 3 months ago #58405 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: The Big Bang
Hey PJ, the Big Bang theory for me is one of those things that science can't explain and (some) religions endorse! You know, the whole "was it always there?" argument, and so on. After a while, my brain hurt, so I have given up since!

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
16 years 3 months ago #58496 by gus
Replied by gus on topic Re: The Big Bang

If you want to give your brain some exercise pick up a copy of the Elegant Universe by Brian Greene. That the best book I've seen on string theory. Also made into a short series of documentaries, the first is at tinyurl.com/3d3w2e

I've just finished his follow up The Fabric of the Cosmos which is equally brilliant and gives you plenty to think about.

More
16 years 3 months ago #58500 by pmgisme
Replied by pmgisme on topic Re: The Big Bang
It gets worse.

Exactly 50 year's ago Hugh Everett proposed the "Many Worlds" interpretation of Quantum Mechanics.

At every quantum moment in time the universe splits. Then the new universe also splits etc. etc. forever.
See:

plato.stanford.edu/entries/qm-manyworlds/

This theory is now being revisited as the best interpretation of quantum mechanics.

Peter.

More
16 years 3 months ago #58504 by pmgisme
Replied by pmgisme on topic Re: The Big Bang
P.S.

The great Biologist and science populariser J.B.S. Haldane once said:

"The Universe is not just queerer than we imagine, it is queerer than we can imagine."

Peter.

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds