K-Tec

Life on other planets

More
16 years 3 months ago #60947 by Rice
Replied by Rice on topic Horses
Yes I too think the horse analogy is very good.

However my point is that it could be a shame to go looking for only horses when its the grass that might hold the clue.

More fundamental is the point made that the primary search is for carbon based life and we are confined to EM signals.

I guess until we find information carrying media other than EM waves we are stuck.

However I keep wishing another way might eventually be found.

ULT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pj30something
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
16 years 3 months ago #60948 by pj30something
Replied by pj30something on topic Re: Life on other planets
However my point is that it could be a shame to go looking for only horses when its the grass that might hold the clue.

I see your point. Lots of animals eat grass..................and they aint all horses.

Not sure where that leaves us....................

Looking for a big sheep in the cosmos?

Wait we have one...............it's called Aries (ok it aint a sheep.............but close enough)

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

More
16 years 2 months ago #63810 by EPK
Replied by EPK on topic Re: Life on other planets

For all we know...bacteria may have a chain of command. A hirarchical(sp?) society.

Hardly, since they reproduce by binary fission.
So, unless additional free DNA is taken in, the organisms are essentially clones. The closest we get to that is ants bees and wasps, which are still more diverse genetically due to drones, but it's still not a hierarchical structure per se, it's based on keeping the egg-producer going, not on centralising power.
However, with regards to life in the universe, although we are may not be alone, in reality we may as well be.
If the light barrier isn't breached by space travel, it'll take too long to reach and communicate with other civilisations.
Think of shipwrecked sailors on small islands twenty miles or so apart with no boats. They can never reach each other, or even know that there are others nearby. That's essentially the situation we may be in here.

Meade 16" Lightbridge
Tal 6" Newtonian
Meade LXD75 6" Newtonian
Tal 4" Refractor
Panoptic and Nagler eyepieces.
Attitude and Smartassery

For forever and a day I shall chase that white whale - Captain Ahab

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds