K-Tec

Soligor Eyepieces

• JohnMurphy
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 1 month ago #25278 by JohnMurphy
Replied by JohnMurphy on topic Through a glass darkly.........
The Soligor 6mm arrived, and I tried it out on Friday when I was in Wexford. I had been viewing Saturn with a 9mm Celestron eyepiece and 2x barlow, and this was giving crisp clean results.
I swapped in the Soligor 6mm and immediately had trouble trying to focus. In fact it wouldn't focus at all. OK so I removed the barlow and tried it on the moon, should'nt be any problems there right ? Wrong, again the soligor was still hard to focus, although it did eventually. Looking through this eyepiece was not a good experience. The edges of the FOV were markedly reddened, indicating colour aberration, and there was a marked reduction in brightness of the image.
If you're thinking of purchasing med-high power plossls, my advice is, stay away from Soligor, (I hope I can return it).

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 1 month ago #25280 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Through a glass darkly.........

(I hope I can return it)

So do I... :x

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• JohnMurphy
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 3 weeks ago #26275 by JohnMurphy
Replied by JohnMurphy on topic Re: Soligor Eyepieces
An update on the Soligor 6mm.

With more experience I may have been too unkind in my previous review.
Firstly, of course it was hard to focus - Higher power eyepieces are, and my 102SLT scope may not have the best focuser anyway. With experience and practice I can now focus this eyepiece, and use it regularly to view Saturn. Having said that it's still hard to focus but mainly because touching the focus knob creates a vibration markedly at 220X (I'm also using a 2x barlow), an electric focus may be the way to go, but expensive.
Of course there was a reduction in brightness - the exit pupil is directly related to the focal length of the Eyepiece.
Exit Pupil = Focal length of Eyepiece/Focal Ratio of scope
in my case this meant a exit pupil of 0.93mm
As for Chromatic Abberation, yes there is a slight redenning around the edges, which was probably worsened by my previous inability to focus. But now seems markedly reduced, even unnoticable.

So, I can live with my new eyepiece and will not be so quick to judge in future, at least until I have ruled out my own inexperience. I have also learned that patience is rewarded in Astronomy. In future I will not review any item until at least a month or two of use.
If I have caused offence to Soligor or users of their equipment I unreserevedly apologise.

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

More
18 years 3 weeks ago #26290 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Soligor Eyepieces
Fair play to you John and thanks for the update. Glad it worked out for you!

Cheers

Dave

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds