ISS transits

• cobyrne
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
18 years 10 months ago #12490 by cobyrne
ISS transits was created by cobyrne
Taking up Seanie's challenge from another thread, I've done the calculations for the transit of the ISS on Bank Holiday Monday.

Well, it turns out that both the sun and the moon will experience a transit on that day as seen from Ireland. However, the moon will be too close to new, so I'll skip that event.

The path of the solar transit crosses Ireland's west coast at about 11:38:52 about 9km south of Clifden. It passes quite near Kilbeggan at about 11:39:15, and is in Dublin City Centre at about 11:39:25. The path runs from the Spa Hotel in Lucan, over the Liffey Valley S.C., through the southern Phoenix Park, and on to the Custom House.

The path is only a few km wide, and the transit will last for about 0.5 second for anyone on the centre line.

Now that I know how to do it, I'll search for other transits and try and produce path descriptions. For copyright reasons, I'm not allowed to upload maps to anywhere, so I'm not sure how else to make the information available. If anyone wants more information, please get in touch.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• cobyrne
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
18 years 10 months ago #12494 by cobyrne
Replied by cobyrne on topic Re: ISS transits
OK - I'm finding a lot more of these transits. It looks like we are in some sort of transit season at the moment.

Tomorrow, one starts in the south-west at Ballybunion at 12:37:22 or so, passes over Limerick, just south of Templemore, and leaves the country at Wicklow town at about 12:37:56 or so.

Then there is another one tomorrow - starts about 4km south of Clifden at about 14:12:22, goes over Tullamore, and leaves at Greystones at about 14:12:58.

There are more during the week. Stay tuned.

More
18 years 10 months ago #12503 by eclipsedan
Replied by eclipsedan on topic Re: ISS transits
I'd love to see the maps if you can find to send them on to me (eclipsechaser "at" gmail.com). For the bank-holiday Monday if possible. My exams end this Friday! Yipee

More
18 years 10 months ago #12518 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: ISS transits
Chris,
I say go ahead and make the maps. It would be pretty hard to track down what pulisher or edition you have picked, they nearly allllll look the same anyway. Accept The Challenge! :lol:

Or, give them to myself, Abert, or John Honan, and either of us can make a 'web page' with them, and only share the link to those interested when requested - that should by-pass almost any opyright law, as you are not 'advertising' it publicly. It would be easier than emailing them everytime, especially for 5.6K-ers like me!

Seanie.[/b]

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• cobyrne
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
18 years 10 months ago #12525 by cobyrne
Replied by cobyrne on topic Re: ISS transits

Chris,
Accept The Challenge! :lol:
[/b]

Accepted!

www.chris.obyrne.com/astro/diag/iss-early-jun-05.jpg

White lines are lunar transits, yellow lines are solar transits.

In the west, from north to south, they are
Lunar 2 Jun 13:02:30
Lunar 3 Jun 13:29:10
Lunar 2 Jun 14:37:00
Solar 2 Jun 13:03:40
Solar 1 Jun 14:12:10
Solar 6 Jun 11:38:50
Solar 3 Jun 13:30:00
Lunar 3 Jun 11:54:20
Solar 3 Jun 11:55:00
Solar 1 Jun 12:37:20
Solar 2 Jun 14:38:40

I've only covered to 3 June comprehensively - there are more transits between 4th and 6th, and yet more to come after the 6th

In the east, from north to south (so you can double-check), they are
Lunar 2 Jun 13:03:12
Lunar 3 Jun 13:29:50
Solar 2 Jun 13:04:20
Lunar 3 Jun 11:55:00
Lunar 2 Jun 14:37:40
Solar 6 Jun 11:39:30
Solar 3 Jun 11:55:40
Solar 1 Jun 14:13:00
Solar 1 Jun 12:38:00
Solar 3 Jun 13:30:40
Solar 2 Jun 14:39:08

Please do double-check my numbers if you want to use the tracks - the transit takes about 40 seconds to cross the country.

This is quite a bit of work. Is there serious interest in it out there?

And, the good news is that the satellite image of Ireland came from NASA, so I think it comes under the U.S. Government public domain policy.

Dan - the transit across Dublin goes from just south of the Spa hotel in Lucan, over the Liffey Valley Shopping Centre, through the southern part of the Phoenix Park and over the Custom House.

More
18 years 10 months ago #12570 by PMU
Replied by PMU on topic Re: ISS transits
thanks for the map Chris,I am on the june 6 track.
will post a report ,weather permitting.
(Seanie,whats the problem with your avtar?)
pat

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds