calling all lunar experts

• ftodonoghue
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
18 years 7 months ago #15922 by ftodonoghue
calling all lunar experts was created by ftodonoghue
Hi guys, spent a while observing the moon tonight and in particular the region around the sea of serenity. In the pic below,you can see the crater Julius caesar, and a ridge/mountain / debris field. indicated by a "?" Does anybody have a name for this feature, or can you point me in a direction where I can find out myself. The reason I ask is that it was particularly prominent tonight through the 70mm refractor. I have looked at virtual moon atlas, but it did not have name for it. does anybody know what it is called.

Cheers
Trevor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 7 months ago #15923 by jhonan
Replied by jhonan on topic Re: calling all lunar experts
That image had me confused for a minute until I flipped it left-to-right! :-)

The area you circled seems to be Sinus Honoris (Bay of Honour) and Lacus Lenitatis (Lake of Tenderness). Certainly it's the hills between these two areas.

I found this map when I was looking for the translations;

www.lunarrepublic.com/atlas/sections/d4.shtml

Everyone in Ireland buys Meade, and they all buy them from Lidl.

More
18 years 7 months ago #15924 by Paul Tipper
Replied by Paul Tipper on topic Re: calling all lunar experts
I also had a look around the region of Julius Caesar this morning. My eye was particularly drawn to a pair of diagonal ridges to the west of Julius Caesar and Boscovitch, sorrounded by a small area of darker grey shading. Immediately above this, I spotted the two rilles Rima Hyginus and Rima Ariadaeus, which showed up nicely in my 8" Dobsonian. Lovely! :D

Paul Tipper,
South Dublin Astro. Soc.

More
18 years 7 months ago #15925 by gnason
Replied by gnason on topic Re: calling all lunar experts

Hi guys, spent a while observing the moon tonight and in particular the region around the sea of serenity. In the pic below,you can see the crater Julius caesar, and a ridge/mountain / debris field. indicated by a "?" Does anybody have a name for this feature, or can you point me in a direction where I can find out myself. The reason I ask is that it was particularly prominent tonight through the 70mm refractor. I have looked at virtual moon atlas, but it did not have name for it. does anybody know what it is called.

This feature is not named in the Clementine Atlas of the Moon and if it's not there, it doesn't have one. Checked The Modern Moon to see what Chuck Woods says. It seems this area was heavily pelted and scoured by Imbrium ejecta, which also caused the rim of Julius Caesar radial to the centre of Imbrium to be heavily eroded. The Haemus Mountains to the north suffered similar scouring.

Gordon

• ftodonoghue
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
18 years 7 months ago #15928 by ftodonoghue
Replied by ftodonoghue on topic Re: calling all lunar experts
Thanks everybody for all your help. That area certainly looks scarred through the eyepiece, so it makes sense that it got a battering..just looked at virtual moon atlas again, the area is right on the terminator now, but will be in darkness later, so have to wait a while to check it out again

Cheers
Trevor

More
18 years 7 months ago #15940 by gnugent
Replied by gnugent on topic Re: calling all lunar experts

The area's made up of lettered craters: Julius Caesar F, Julius Caesar G, Julius Caesar P and Julius Caesar Q.

Cheers,

Gary Nugent

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds