K-Tec

More Aurora Makes This Observer Very Happy!

• johnflannery
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 4 months ago #20108 by johnflannery
More Aurora Makes This Observer Very Happy! was created by johnflannery
hi all,

what a great piece of news for us aurora watchers . . . news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4520982.stm . More aurora over Europe is very welcome indeed!

however, methinks not! If the oval drifts more towards Siberia then it'll mean we'll be at a lower geomagnetic latitude, REDUCING our chances of seeing the ephemeral lights. AAAARRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHH :( :( :(

holidays in Iceland soon anyone?

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 4 months ago #20115 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: More Aurora Makes This Observer Very Happy!
Oh John please dont tell me that :cry:

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

More
18 years 4 months ago #20154 by LUNAtic
Was I imagining things in the strong moon wash or was there some aurora activity last night (~21:00)? The northern horizon appeared very bright with a greenish tint. While the whole sky (read haze) was illuminated by the moon all other horizons were darker and definitely not greenish. Was I mistaken or did anyone else see anything? Maybe it was just the reflection from yet another house decorated to the hilt for Christmas :lol:

EDIT: Should have said 21:00, changed above.

Neil

Bear up and keep Ploughing on...

More
18 years 4 months ago #20158 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: More Aurora Makes This Observer Very Happy!
Have a look again tonight Neil, and you'll find out if its your neighbours' dodgy Cristmas lights, or the after glow o an aurora you saw. I was out around the same time, but I didn't see much from my location.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
18 years 4 months ago #20164 by LUNAtic
It appeared to be fairly significant considering the moon conditions and extended from the NW to the NNE (you do know I was joking about the Christams lights right :wink: ). So I'd expect somebody else to have seen it if it was in fact an aurora. Otherwise I'm suspecting an atmospheric effect of the moon and clouds. It was freakishly bright last night :shock:

Neil

Bear up and keep Ploughing on...

More
18 years 4 months ago #20168 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: More Aurora Makes This Observer Very Happy!

(you do know I was joking about the Christams lights right :wink: ).

With some of the displays I have seen in a few houses down here, I was taking you seriously!!! I can see a house 1 mile away with the amount of atmospheric glow the different coloured rope lights it has all around it! :shock:

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds