K-Tec

Transit of Venus 2004 - www.venustransit.ie

• albertw
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Secretary
  • IFAS Secretary
More
19 years 11 months ago #2959 by albertw

any idea onine where I can find more references like these in relation to previous transits? How was the AU determined and when?

And closer to home www.irishastrosoc.org/transit.htm

Account of the Transit of Venus, observed from Dunsink Observatory, 1882 December 6
By Sir Robert S. Ball M.A., F.R.S.I.

Cheers,
~Albert

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 11 months ago #2962 by spculleton
Replied by spculleton on topic Re: Transit of Venus 2004 - www.venustransit.ie
I'm sure a lot of people have been watching the skies these last few mornings and rating the mornings as to their usefulness on the morning of the transit; "This would be a great morning for the transit, hope we get weather like this" and so on. One thing I've noticed, particularly this morning, is that while I woke to clear blue skies, horizon to horizon, in Laois, a large bank of hazy cloud was resting over Dublin. Perfect skies for the transit in the midlands, frustrating skies on the coast.

What are the various groups going to do if this is the case on the morning of June 8th? Do groups have back-up plans? Will there be a dash for the hills?

What will interested members of the public do if they arrive at a location to find ... nothing? I'm speaking from experience here. I arrived in Bushy Park on the morning of the Mercury Transit in the hopes of finding fellow sky-watchers, who had said they'd be there on the yahoo group. After doing three laps of the park I had to give up and go to work.

One group is providing contact numbers for members of the public, below their request for donations - something which makes a mockery of their stated aims. Could we do the same (numbers, not begging)? Just in case.

Shane Culleton.

Dozo Yoroshiku Onegai Shimasu

More
19 years 11 months ago #2964 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Transit of Venus 2004 - www.venustransit.ie
I would be up for this Shane...

Though, I have to hang my head in shame as TAS itself has not planned (or seems to want to) anything for the Transit.

BUT, if people wanted to come down towards my end of the coutry (road) then they're more than welcome. I live in the countryside 12 miles from Tullamore (Dublin side), and if people are taking the day off work to view the Transit, I'd like to offer my location as an alternative. I'll provide food and drink, and whatever else you want, including an internet connection.

Maybe, some could go into Tullamore to the town square and offer a look through baader glasses or welders glass for a short while too.

Any thoughts?

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• albertw
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Secretary
  • IFAS Secretary
More
19 years 11 months ago #2970 by albertw
This is part of the reason that I was asked to just get contact details for the clubs and not details of events - the venustransit.ie site doesnt want to be promoting events that may not take place. Though where clubs have said there will be events I have added a Venue line on the page (still waiting for them to update with the latest info).

If you are organising a public event then please stick with the venue you have planned for. Members of the public are unlikley to ring up for details, they will just turn up on the day.

If its just sea haze you are referring to then this will only affect the sandymount venue, and that will go ahead (RTE may be dropping down so there better be people there!).

I'll try and get up early enough one of these mornings (or stay up long enough!) and see what its like in sandymount. For the mercury transit cloud was the main problem.

Its diappointing when you expect people to turn up and they dont. For mercury the morning didnt look the best, and some people did go to bushy park, but then down to sandymount, where we had a fairly succesful observing day.

One final thing about Sandymount tower, it seems that this venue, which the IAS has been holding Dublin Sidewalk Astronomers gatherings at for some time, is starting to becom known as an astronomy area. I have had one query from someone specifically asking if there would be anyone with telescopes at sandymount tower, so the venue is gaining reputation. now if we could just get the co. co. to shut the lights off when we are there....

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
www.darksky.ie/

More
19 years 11 months ago #2971 by spculleton
Replied by spculleton on topic Re: Transit of Venus 2004 - www.venustransit.ie

If its just sea haze you are referring to then this will only affect the sandymount venue, and that will go ahead (RTE may be dropping down so there better be people there!).

Cheers,
~Al

I intend being down at Sandymount with my LX90 and my brand-spanking-new white light filter from around 5.30. Even if it is hazy and cloudy I can't see myself dashing for the mountains; I'd prefer to take my chances and wait for breaks in the clouds. Let's hope it doesn't come to that. Sky News Ireland may be down too, so wear your best anorak!

The media don't seem to be as fired up about this as they were about Mars. Part of the problem may be the pairs of transits. "It's really rare! No one alive has seen one! Last one was 122 years ago, next one is in eight years time!"

Shane Culleton.

Dozo Yoroshiku Onegai Shimasu

• albertw
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Secretary
  • IFAS Secretary
More
19 years 11 months ago #2972 by albertw

The media don't seem to be as fired up about this as they were about Mars. Part of the problem may be the pairs of transits. "It's really rare! No one alive has seen one! Last one was 122 years ago, next one is in eight years time!"

Well we did have NASA, the ESA, Colin Pillinger, and a lander with a cute name to do the PR for Mars :-)

The media are starting to take interest in the transit now. And I expect that June 7th and 8th if the weather is clear they will take a lot more interest.

Dick Ahlstrom apparently has an atricle in todays Irish Times also.

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
www.darksky.ie/

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds