• ftodonoghue
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
18 years 1 month ago #26560 by ftodonoghue
73/P Schwassmann Wachmann update was created by ftodonoghue
From sky and telescope

"Update April 11: Many observers are suggesting that Fragment B is crumbling. Carl Hergenrother, observing with the 1.2-meter SAO telescope, says "a sharp central condensation is no longer visible in my images. The central condensation is now a diffuse bar about 8 arcseconds in length.... Based on my images, I believe 73P-B has disrupted."

Several observers now judge Fragment B to be a few tenths of a magnitude fainter than C. It would appear that now's the time to catch Fragment B.

The comet fragments are currently in Bootes heading toward Corona Borealis, high in the east by late evening. See for yourself, using the charts in the May Sky & Telescope. And keep checking here for news."

Anybody manage to have a look in the last few days....

Cheers
Trevor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 1 month ago #26564 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: 73/P Schwassmann Wachmann update
Has anyone run a time lapse simulation in a program like starry night with this comet! , I did and it passes very close to the Earth as comets go, less then 7,500,000 miles on May 13th. If this was a substantial comet, it would be a spectacular sight in the sky!!

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
18 years 1 month ago #26568 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
The weather for the weekend is predicted not to be too bad, some free time at last to have a look, but the moon is very bright - i'll give it a go all the same

Keith.

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds