K-Tec

Anyone got B&W charts for Comet 73/P Schwassmann-Wachman

More
18 years 1 week ago #26692 by ftodonoghue

Seanie,

I have downloaded the latest ephemeris from MPC (Harvard) and I am all set to go.

Any idea what field of view I would need to capture the primary comet with fragments?

Thanks!

Anthony.

Further to Anthony's comment regarding Ephemeris..Does anybody know where I can point Cartes du ciel to get latest Ephemeris for both fragments b and c...The default destination which is cfa-www.harvard.edu/iau/Ephemerides/Comets/Soft06Cmt.txt seems to list only the c fragment.

To be honest, I am relatively new to using cartes du ciel to plot movements of objects so there may be something I am missing

Actually what I think I am looking for is the orbital elements of fragment b in a format that the program "the sky" can read

Cheers
Trevor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 1 week ago #26695 by ftodonoghue
Nothing like solving your own problem :D

I managed to track down some orbital elements on internet and have put them in a format needed for "cartes du ciel" or "The Sky"

I then copied and pasted them into cometes.dat file in program folder

For those with Cartes Du Ciel...here they are (THe MPC number refers to fragment c but other than that it should hopefully work..)

73P-B/Schwassmann-Wachmann |2000|20060607.9388 | 0.939123 |0.693302 |198.8047 | 69.8923 | 11.3975 |12.0 | 6.0 | MPC 55524

Cheers
Trevor

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 1 week ago #26706 by Seanie_Morris

Seanie,

I have downloaded the latest ephemeris from MPC (Harvard) and I am all set to go.

Any idea what field of view I would need to capture the primary comet with fragments?

Thanks!

Anthony.

I don't really, as I guess it will all boil down to your sky conditions, and the aperture of your instrument. Apparetly, from a dark site, it wil be hard to actually find as it is not very bright yet, but easily recognisable, in an 8" reflector. It brightens quickly in the next 2 weeks.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds