APOPHIS to miss Earth by 23k miles

• eansbro
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
17 years 11 months ago #28187 by eansbro
APOPHIS to miss Earth by 23k miles was created by eansbro
Apophis to miss Earth in 2029. A slight increase in the distance from the last measurements. An improved accuracy of distance would be to do parrallax measurements long baseline from 2 distant locations on Earth.

(99942) APOPHIS (= 2004 MN4)
L. A. M. Benner et. al., Jet Propulsion Laboratory and others report on IAUC 8711 that Arecibo radar observations of minor planet (99942) = 2004 MN4 on May 6 when coupled with earlier measures back to 2004 May 15 increases the 2029 Apr. 13.9 earth-centre miss-distance by 450 km to 5.93 earth radii. The nominal predicted earth-close- approach distance in 2036 increases from 0.168 to 0.276 AU, moving the statistical earth encounter
to a lower-probability region within the distribution of possible orbits.

If any IFAS members are interested in getting involved in asteroid positions, there is a discussion going on at post 'Announcement J62' in the General section. If there is enough interest Dave Mc and myself would be happy to do a workshop to explain how you can get involved in asteroid positions at the next WSP.

Eamonn A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 11 months ago #28231 by JohnMurphy
Replied by JohnMurphy on topic Re: APOPHIS to miss Earth by 23k miles

If any IFAS members are interested in getting involved in asteroid positions, there is a discussion going on at post 'Announcement J62' in the General section. If there is enough interest Dave Mc and myself would be happy to do a workshop to explain how you can get involved in asteroid positions at the next WSP.

:shock:

Exactly why we need more people doing serious science on this subject!!!
If enough of us are looking out for this kind of thing then the chances are greater of us spotting a NEO potential disaster and giving more advanced warning. - It's up to us folks - seriously!! :twisted:

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds