K-Tec

Definition of Planet to be Announced in September.

More
17 years 10 months ago #29879 by pmgisme
Sky &Telescope reproduced that article a couple of years back and I read it so carefully it stuck in my mind.
It is destined to to be utterly forgotten.
I'm surprised that it has not been utterly forgotten already.
"planemo". Good grief.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 10 months ago #29881 by voyager

Sky &Telescope reproduced that article a couple of years back and I read it so carefully it stuck in my mind.
"planemo". Good grief.

I'm seriuously not seeing your problem here at all. His definition boils down to "a planet is a spherical object that orbits an object that shines by Nuclear Fusion". It's so simple it's genious!

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
17 years 10 months ago #29890 by dave_lillis
guys, guys, relax, there is no point in fighting this out, neither of you (nor anyone else here for that matter) has any say in the outcome of the IAU planet debate, so there is no point flying into each other here about it. Can you imagine the debate on this in the IAU :shock: :lol:

After the IAU has come up with the definition, and you dont like it, you dont have to follow it if you dont want, its a free world, or is that planet or rock ?? :lol:

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
17 years 10 months ago #29891 by voyager

guys, guys, relax, there is no point in fighting this out, neither of you (nor anyone else here for that matter) has any say in the outcome of the IAU planet debate, so there is no point flying into each other here about it. Can you imagine the debate on this in the IAU :shock: :lol:

After the IAU has come up with the definition, and you dont like it, you dont have to follow it if you dont want, its a free world, or is that planet or rock ?? :lol:

Actually .... on a serious note, what do you have to do to get a vote on the IAU?

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
17 years 10 months ago #29893 by dmcdona

"planemo". Good grief.

Umm, welcome to thw wonderful world of the internet... Type 'Definition of planet' into any search engine and the article will come up. Destined to be remebered and quoted, at least until September.

Bart - I agree - I like the definition - simple, succint and to the point in 20 words. OK, so the descriptors (planemo, fusor etc) are a bit odd, but I guess 'globular cluster' was too when that first hit the streets. But the poiunt remians, the definitions seem to hit the mark.

But, as Dave says, and as the title of this thread describes, its in the hands of the IAU til September.

Actually, what's the definition of a 'world'? A planet inhabited with life? Doh!

Dave

p.s - Bart - try a brown envelope stuffed with cash - works a treat :D

More
17 years 10 months ago #29894 by albertw

Can you imagine the debate on this in the IAU :shock: :lol:

Twice as many opinions as members according to Bro. Guy :-)

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds