Jupiter Query

• JohnMurphy
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
17 years 10 months ago #29740 by JohnMurphy
Jupiter Query was created by JohnMurphy
Take a look at the Jupiter images from tonight (excuse the quality, seeing was naff, and frequently clouded out). It wasn't 'till after processing that I noticed the L shaped cloud bands. It's not a dirty CCD, and the images were taken with plenty of time between plus they are too uniform to be CCD errors. Can anyone make suggestions as to what I am seeing here???

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 10 months ago #29742 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Jupiter Query
John,
Can you put up an image without the black outline, its difficult to see the transition with that in and maybe a 2x image if possible.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
17 years 10 months ago #29747 by gnason
Replied by gnason on topic Re: Jupiter Query

Take a look at the Jupiter images from tonight (excuse the quality, seeing was naff, and frequently clouded out). It wasn't 'till after processing that I noticed the L shaped cloud bands. It's not a dirty CCD, and the images were taken with plenty of time between plus they are too uniform to be CCD errors. Can anyone make suggestions as to what I am seeing here???

Well, for fairly obvious reasons, it has nothing to do with Jupiter itself so you should look closely at your equipment. Probably a smudge on a lens or something like that.

• JohnMurphy
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
17 years 10 months ago #29760 by JohnMurphy
Replied by JohnMurphy on topic Re: Jupiter Query

John,
Can you put up an image without the black outline, its difficult to see the transition with that in and maybe a 2x image if possible.

Dave,

One of the shots without the black line, you'll have to copy it and blow it up on a viewer:

Don't forget these were taken with a webcam the images are about 800+ stacked. The image will have been moving about the CCD, plus the movement of the scope during tracking, so any dirt etc. should have been negated, not uniformly stacked in the same location. Having said that there is no sign of any smears or dirt. It looks like a break in the band.
This may be just a result of a brighter reflection from the center getting exagerated by stacking??

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Check out My Photos

More
17 years 10 months ago #29761 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Jupiter Query
What I would try John is restacking the AVI again, but this time select a diffierent start frame in the alignment (first) section. I'd bet this will solve the problem, especially if the disk was jumping all over the webcam field of view.

I've seen registax do some wierd things if the alignment frame is in some way bad or strange.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• JohnMurphy
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
17 years 10 months ago #29763 by JohnMurphy
Replied by JohnMurphy on topic Re: Jupiter Query
Dave,

Appreciate what your saying, but all the AVIs from last night came out the same. Diffferent starting frames were selected in each. Each time I selected different frames but ended up with similar results from five different AVIs.
Guess I'll wait and see what happens next time I get a clear night. Quite cloudy at the moment!

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Check out My Photos

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds