K-Tec

Jupiter Query

More
17 years 10 months ago #29766 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Jupiter Query
Same here, the sky is back to its old self.
The "artifact" in the Jupiter has to be either one of 2 things (presumings its not real),

1, Image capture artifact, dirt on a lens or ccd chip
2, Image processing artifact.

I cant tell exactly which it is, but it has to be one of them. Anyway, like you say, there is always next time.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 10 months ago #29770 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Jupiter Query
In my opinion John, when I look at the 'clean' frame, the details on Jupiters surface are so small in your image, that a few of them appear to allign in this 'shape' you think your seeing! I reckon its just an optical illusion. If you had a much larger picture to start with initially, I bet you would not have noticed this artefact!

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
17 years 10 months ago #29777 by eansbro
Replied by eansbro on topic Re: Jupiter Query
I checked your images with a colleague that took images on 16 June at 23.00 to 23.44 UT. There appears to be no gaps showing up, assuming you took your images at those times. However, the SEB is very busy at this region and there are two EB/NEB festoon rifts at those times. It is also possible that the close proximity of the Red Spot and the bright festoons, apparently show left shape configurations. I still think this is a weak explanation because your resolution is low.

It's possible the image processing may be pushing or enhancing those brighter parts, due to low resolution, giving one the impression/illusion of a gap within the band.

Eamonn A

• JohnMurphy
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
17 years 10 months ago #29784 by JohnMurphy
Replied by JohnMurphy on topic Re: Jupiter Query

I checked your images with a colleague that took images on 16 June at 23.00 to 23.44 UT. There appears to be no gaps showing up, assuming you took your images at those times. However, the SEB is very busy at this region and there are two EB/NEB festoon rifts at those times. It is also possible that the close proximity of the Red Spot and the bright festoons, apparently show left shape configurations. I still think this is a weak explanation because your resolution is low.

It's possible the image processing may be pushing or enhancing those brighter parts, due to low resolution, giving one the impression/illusion of a gap within the band.

Eamonn A

Thanks Eamonn,

It's frustrating at the moment with the limited equipment I have (resolution and clarity). I agree with your explanation that the brighter parts have been pushed by the stacking to create an illusion. Still, it's useful to have the help of others on this forum, just in case there was something going on.

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

More
17 years 10 months ago #29819 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Jupiter Query
I've no doubt John that you'll have a bigger scope in the not too distant future which'll give you the resolution you want. :)

I always find threads like this by far the most interesting on the boards, its great to think outside the box and be challenged by a good question.
Thanks for putting this up John.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds