K-Tec

Asteroid Defense

More
17 years 10 months ago #30156 by pmgisme
Replied by pmgisme on topic Re: Asteroid Defense
There is no record of anything REALLY scarey hitting this planet for the last 65 million years.And for about 30 million years before that.

Try counting to 65 million SECONDS to see what a remote possibility we are talking about.

(The asteroid which created the Berringer crater in Arizona may have squashed a few rattlesnakes,but thats about it.)

A census of asteroids is indeed real worthwhile planetary science,cloaking it in scare stories about saving us from Armegeddon is being silly.

Mind you, a big one could spin around behind the Sun tomorrow and GET us in a few months time.

How come I'm not scared.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 10 months ago #30158 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Asteroid Defense

There is no record of anything REALLY scarey hitting this planet for the last 65 million years.And for about 30 million years before that.

Hmmm. Well, if the Tunguska event (see below) happened over Dublin or any other city, I think that would scare me enough to at least warrant a change of underwear (if I survived my house falling around my ears of course). And it happened less than 100 years ago...

A census of asteroids is indeed real worthwhile planetary science,cloaking it in scare stories about saving us from Armegeddon is being silly.

I don't think anyone seriously involved in asteroid searches is peddling an Armageddon agenda. They certainly justify the need to continue the research by describing what could happen - but not in a tabloid scare-story style. Of course, even if an impactor was discovered, then we need to figure out what to do with it, if anything...

Cheers

Dave

The Tunguska event was a natural explosion that occurred at 60°55′N 101°57′E, near the Podkamennaya (Stony) Tunguska River in what is now Evenkia, Siberia, at 7:17 a.m. on June 30, 1908.

The explosion was caused most probably by the airburst of a meteorite or comet 6 to 10 kilometers above the Earth's surface. The energy of the blast was later estimated to be between 10 and 15 megaton TNT. It felled an estimated 60 million trees over 2,150 square kilometers.

In recent history, the Tunguska event stands out as one of the rare large-scale demonstrations that a full doomsday event is a real possibility for the human race.

More
17 years 10 months ago #30159 by pmgisme
Replied by pmgisme on topic Re: Asteroid Defense
The Tunguska event is known to have killed exactly ONE human being,who was thrown several meters and died later.(probably more died though.).
Wars alone in the twentieth century killed more than 100 million people.

Exactly one year ago yesterday Bob Geldorf said:
"Fifty thousand human beings will die this day because of poverty."

The real threats are already on Earth !

More
17 years 10 months ago #30160 by dmcdona

The Tunguska event is known to have killed exactly ONE human being,who was thrown several meters and died later.(probably more died though.).
Wars alone in the twentieth century killed more than 100 million people.

Exactly one year ago yesterday Bob Geldorf said:
"Fifty thousand human beings will die this day because of poverty."

The real threats are already on Earth !

My point was that 'if Tunguska happened in Dublin' - presumably, more than one person would die.

As for wars, pestilence, disease etc, tackling those events and reducing the human death associated with them will do nothing to reduce an asteroid impact threat. You could end up stopping all war, pox, pestilence etc only to have the fruits of your labour wiped out in one fell swoop with a 100m asteroid impact...

I see you point, but don't agree with it. By way of example, if we decided that deaths due to aeroplane accidents were so miniscule compared to say war, then we should stop regulating airline safety and 'wasting' that money. Clearly, that is a flawed argument.

Money is being spent on early warning systems for Tsunamis - is that wasted money too?

I think that risk assessment is the key here - the risk is assessed, the money/effort required to minimise or eliminate the risk determined then a judgement call made as to whether or not to spend the money.

And that judgement call is not made by either me or you...

In the case of Pan STARRS, they decided to spend the money because it was worthwhile (it is funded by US tax dollars via NASA, I think).

More
17 years 10 months ago #30161 by ftodonoghue
Replied by ftodonoghue on topic Re: Asteroid Defense
The Fact of the mater is that earth will be hit again by an asteroid
We do not know when this will happen but it will
Just because something has not happened does not mean it is not a threat...

Instead of wasting time and money looking for potential impactors we might be better waiting until after the event and we can discuss it with the benefit of hindsight....Now thats an idea

Cheers
Trevor

More
17 years 10 months ago #30162 by dmcdona
:D

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds