• IFAS Social Media Officer
More
17 years 8 months ago #32134 by DeirdreKelleghan
Sad Little Pluto was created by DeirdreKelleghan

Sad Little Pluto

By Dee

Deirdre Kelleghan
www.irishastrosoc.org

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 8 months ago #32135 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Sad Little Pluto
Take heart Deirdre, Pluto, whilst now defined as a Dwarf Planet, has been elevated to the status of a 'prototype' of a new category (name to be determined).

Dave

More
17 years 8 months ago #32137 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Sad Little Pluto
Interesting map/impression of pluto, where did you get it ??
You could have saved nasa a fortune with it :wink: :lol:

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• DeirdreKelleghan
  • Topic Author
More
17 years 8 months ago #32139 by DeirdreKelleghan
Replied by DeirdreKelleghan on topic post
images.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=http://pl...Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN

I goggled Pluto, and then looked at images. I was putting a solar system presentation together recently and it just looked great. I guess it’s an artist impression as I can not read the language on the image description.

Glad you like it; I think they should give Pluto special status and leave it a planet in our solar system.
I understand the need to define Planet for scientific reasons et cetra, especially since we will continue to find more of them. I think they should apply the new rules to new planets and extra solar planets and keep our very special home "Our Solar System" just the way it is.

Humanity is getting so advanced I guess we need classes of planets like Star Trek so we can boldly go where no one has been before, with a sack of definitions.

I guess New Horizons is carrying my name on a multi- million dollar mission to fly- by a vertically challenged minor planet.

So few members of the IAU turned up to vote, I wonder if the new "system" was truly embraced.

Deirdre Kelleghan
www.irishastrosoc.org

More
17 years 8 months ago #32141 by Dark Matter
Replied by Dark Matter on topic Re: Sad Little Pluto
I’ve grown up being told we had nine planets in our solar system after yesterday I’m now told we have eight and a bunch of dwarfs as well. I’m an old dog and I still say nine.

More
17 years 8 months ago #32145 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Sad Little Pluto
Clearly if anyone wnats to say we have nine planets on our Solar System, they are more than entitled to do so.

I think the decision on Pluto is geared more to the scientific community and to try and level the definition palying field so new discoveries have a home. But for the public at large, Pluto can still be a planet if they so wish.

I know Armagh have no intention of altering their new planatary display by removing pluto...

Deirdre - Pluto *does* have special status now - its a protype object for a whole new category!

Dave

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds