K-Tec

Number of Planets in the Solar System

More
17 years 7 months ago #32902 by Neill
Hi all,

Below is a wee poll to see what you all thought about the IAU decision in Prague - so how many planets are there in the solar system in your view?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 7 months ago #32903 by JohnONeill
Replied by JohnONeill on topic Just Four Planets
Hi,
If you don't look too carefully at the poster with todays (14th Sep) Irish Examiner you would really think they are four!

John

More
17 years 7 months ago #32904 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: Number of Planets in the Solar System
IMO the IAU got the right answer .... perhaps not with perfect reasoning but it is certainly the right answer in my book.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
17 years 7 months ago #32905 by SunCrazy
Replied by SunCrazy on topic Re: Number of Planets in the Solar System
I agree with the IAU as well.
Pluto has always been the odd one out. When it was discovered we just did not know about similar object like Pluto in that area to classify it properly.
It is important in science that we are openminded to changes ... otherwise we would still teach children that the world is flat and that the Sun and planets evolve aroun us ...

More
17 years 7 months ago #32907 by Frank Ryan
Replied by Frank Ryan on topic Re: Number of Planets in the Solar System
I agree with Suncrazy.
Re-writing 'the history books' has always been and exciting and challenging thing.
For me it's not just a case of being open minded.
I should think all scientists through good work methods default to being open minded. Its when something we have taken for granted for so long needs to change because it has become outdated or a new discovery has made an impact, we come into difficulties.

Most people do not like change, and it usually takes time for a new idea to 'settle into' the mass consciousness.
But after a while it becomes accepted.
I for one am glad Pluto was finally stripped of its planet status because we know (and have known) for a long while this was an incorrect classification for this size body.
Who knows what else is out there...we may yet discover the 'uber-planet' that makes all the largest ones we've seen up to now look like pea’s to an elephant.

Here's hoping anyway....

My Astrophotography
Shannonside Astronomy Club __________________________________________
Meade ETX-125PE, Bresser 10 x 50 Binos & Me Peepers

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
17 years 7 months ago #32914 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Number of Planets in the Solar System
I'd have tended to favour leaving Pluto alone and calling the others 'dwarf planets'. Pluto has been a 'planet' since it was discovered. Even though it doesn't 'make the grade', I think it should have retained that title even as an honour to Clyde Tombaugh.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds