• lunartic_old
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
16 years 5 months ago #54985 by lunartic_old
3-D Moon was created by lunartic_old
Hey hey

I've managed to get a couple of hours with the moon tonight before I have to go out. I popped the 127mm on my Vixen alt-az mount and began to observe with my orthos. It's amazing what 5" of unobstructed glass will do, there was a nice :roll: violet ring around the sunlit limb, but I can live with that.

Then I broke out the binoviewer, I must have this about 6 months and this is the first time I've used it. I have apair of 26mm and 12.5mm plossls, to use with the refractor I have to use a barlow, this gives me magnifications of 63X and 131X. The view through the 26mms was amazing, the 3-D effect was fantastic, I literally had the feeling that I was hovering above the surface. I have never seen Copernicus like this before, I could perceive depth in the walls. Tycho was outstanding and as I cruised around the terminator it was a thrill to watch the sun begin to shine off some of the higher peaks and walls. The view through the 6mms was enough to lower my elevation over the surface and the details were stunning.

I eagerly look forward to those times when the sun is low over Sinus Iridum, Copernicus, Kepler and so many other features.

I turned the scope of M45, but I don't have a low enough magnification to appreciate the view.

I am now hooked on the binoviewer and I think the purchase of lower magnification eyepieces is on the cards, something in the 40-42mm range.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 5 months ago #54987 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: 3-D Moon
Paul,
Good to hear you are having fun with the binoviewers. They are great!
In terms of eyepieces, If memory serves me correctly, I *think* 20mm is the longest focal length eyepieces you can use with binoviewers. Something to do with a field stop in the binoviewers I *think*. I'd advise that you do your research before buying just to make sure.

More
16 years 5 months ago #54989 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: 3-D Moon
Hi Mark,
Welcome to binoviewer land, where not only do you have to have good eyepieces, but you need 2 of each !
but its worth it, as the moon takes on a death star like appearance. :P

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
16 years 5 months ago #54997 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: 3-D Moon
Nice short report Paul, made good reading! The Moon never appears dull, no matter how often you look at it!

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
16 years 5 months ago #55011 by pmgisme
Replied by pmgisme on topic Re: 3-D Moon
If you have an ETX 70 scope (or such) put the binoviewers on them and you'll have a "long range microscope".

You won't reach focus at infinity but the detailed close up 3-D views of a spider hanging outside your window 10 feet away might give you nightmares for weeks afterwards.

Like something out of a science fiction horror film.

Peter.

More
16 years 5 months ago #55047 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: 3-D Moon
:lol:
Peter, you crack me up.

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds