K-Tec

Mars is going to make an impression coming up to Christmas

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 years 5 months ago #55662 by Seanie_Morris
Does anyone know what size Mars is at present (apparent diameter, smart alecs, not actual)? Last night, it was very much apparent that it is getting brighter and maybe even bigger by naked eye standards. This also lent a solid feel to its appearance. I mean, Sirius was twinkling all over the place in the frigid clear skies, yet Mars was a steady orange beacon hardly blinking at all. Kind of makes you think about the whole Christmas story with its opposition (making it biggest and brightest) on December 24th...

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 5 months ago #55663 by dmcdona
Seanie, the size of Mars depends on whether you buy the King Size version or normal...

OK, got that funny off my chest.

I don't know what size it is at the mo or what it will be on Dec 24th. I've noted like you though that it certainly eems to be getting brighter - but they may be down to sky conditions and/or its altitude.

As for the Christmas story, I don't think Tullamore need worry. Its not like there's three wise men kicking around, right? :wink: And don't mention the other one...

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 years 5 months ago #55665 by Seanie_Morris

As for the Christmas story, I don't think Tullamore need worry. Its not like there's three wise men kicking around, right? :wink: And don't mention the other one...

Funny man Dave, you're a funny man! :D

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.

More
16 years 5 months ago #55668 by jeyjey
Seanie --

15.2" now; topping out at 15.9" on Dec 19. (It's actually a bit smaller at opposition on the 24th -- 15.8".)

-- Jeff.

Nikon 18x70s / UA Millennium                              Colorado:
Solarscope SF70 / TV Pronto / AP400QMD             Coronado SolarMax40 DS / Bogen 055+3130
APM MC1610 / Tak FC-125 / AP1200GTO               Tak Mewlon 250 / AP600EGTO

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 years 5 months ago #55688 by Seanie_Morris
Nice one Jeff, thanks.

:)

Midlands Astronomy Club.

More
16 years 5 months ago #55692 by jhoare
It was the brightest thing in the sky at midnight last night and very easy to spot.

John

Better that old people should die of talk than to have young people die in war.

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds