K-Tec

Comet Holmes

More
16 years 4 months ago #58385 by Calibos
Replied by Calibos on topic Re: Comet Holmes
Its east of M34 now, ie. Up and slightly to the left from M34 in Binos.

I couldn't see it naked eye. I couldn't see it in my 32mm Hyperion in my Scope. I could see it in the 9x50 finderscope and in my 15x70 Bino's.

Too much Sky Glow in Bray for me to see it Naked eye. Its too big and diffuse to see in the scope. The Binos and finderscope were ....Juuuuust Riiiight. :D

Tonight was the first time I found it since I got my new gear. Last time I saw it was by accident back in October. I happened to notice it back then naked eye. I knew I wasn't suppposed to be able to see fuzzy patches naked eye in my Bray back Garden so I went to the astronomy forum on boards and sure enough there were posts asking what the new fuzzy patch in the sky was. Got my broken ancient Tasco 10x50's out and even with those I was OMG!! Cool!!

Holmes is what renewed my interest in Astronomy and its pretty much that night back in October when the outburst happened that I decided finally that I wanted to get into astronomy in a more serious way. Its seems Holmes has had that effect on many people. Cloudy Nights forums is filled with posts from new first time owners of telescopes who owe their renewed interest to Holmes.

Just wish I had of had the scope and decent bino's back when Holmes was really spectacular. Now that I have them, I won't be caught off guard like that again and will be ready for any new or dramatic celestial event.

Keith D.

16" Meade Lightbridge Truss Dobsonian with Servocat Tracking/GOTO
Ethos 3.7sx,6,8,10,13,17,21mm
Nagler 31mm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 4 months ago #58399 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Comet Holmes

Just wish I had of had the scope and decent bino's back when Holmes was really spectacular. Now that I have them, I won't be caught off guard like that again and will be ready for any new or dramatic celestial event.

Frank and I saw it through the obsessionator a few days after its outburst, I couldn't believe what I say, I've seen many comets and most are unspectacular but this one nearly knocked me off the ladder !
Lets hope it flairs up again, this time we're ready!

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
16 years 3 months ago #58512 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
I saw it again naked eye last night under good clear skies! About magnitude 3.5 I'd say...

Keith..

• pj30something
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
16 years 3 months ago #58555 by pj30something
Replied by pj30something on topic Re: Comet Holmes
Last night my skyscout found Holmes but i'm not too sure. All i saw naked eye was a star with a slight glow around it (with averted vision).

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

More
16 years 3 months ago #58698 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Comet Holmes
That glow was the comet PJ, that is how it appears. The star would have just been coincidence, and not part of the comet (it does not have a central bright core seen with the naked eye).

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
16 years 3 months ago #58708 by John D
Replied by John D on topic Re: Comet Holmes
:lol: :lol: :lol:

John

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds