K-Tec

Comet, I think

More
19 years 4 months ago #7109 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Comet, I think
I havent seen this comet so far, does it have any visible tail yet ??

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Bill_H
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
19 years 4 months ago #7112 by Bill_H
Replied by Bill_H on topic Re: Comet, I think
S'cuse my ignorance :oops: but is that an actual photograph of the comet or is it a picture of the sky with the comet put on it? It must be the bright star I was looking at between the comet and Orion.

Astronomers do it with the lights off.

More
19 years 4 months ago #7113 by lionsden
Replied by lionsden on topic Re: Comet, I think
Hi Bill,

No that's not a photograph, it a screenshot of Starry Night, a planterium program.

Leo @ Lionsden
Perhap because light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

More
19 years 4 months ago #7114 by gnason
Replied by gnason on topic Re: Comet, I think

Gordon,
Copy the url to the message body and highlight it. Then, instead of clicking on the "URL" button, click on "Img"
And, while I'm at it, try not to put a fullstop at the end of the url! :wink:
It's a very easy mistake to make, which is why I ALWAYS have to edit my own posts two or three times to correct little things like this.
Clear skies,

Thanks Michael. I'll remember that for future occasions.

Gordon

More
19 years 4 months ago #7115 by lionsden
Replied by lionsden on topic Re: Comet, I think
Bill

P.S. Starry Night Enthusiast 4.5 is currently free on the coverdisk of the Jan-05 edition of PC Pro magazine.

Leo @ Lionsden
Perhap because light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

More
19 years 4 months ago #7118 by mjs
Replied by mjs on topic Re: Comet, I think
I saw the comet last night at 1:30 and tried imaging it with the Cannon 300D attached to the 70mm f10 Skylux. The Skylux tripod (not extended)was on the equitorial platform I have made for my Dobsonian. This allows some basic tracking. However the strong wind caused alot of problems as the Skylux mount was not really steady enough for those conditions.
Anyway here is the image:-

Visually the comet's coma extended to the two stars above it and the overall impression was of a slightly bigger, round version of the Andromeda Galaxy. I would put the magnitude at 4.8 to 4.5. No tail was visible.

Three 30 sec., ISO 1600 exposures were stacked for this image which shows 1/2 degree square of sky. (the size of the full moon). I was also impressed to see stars down to magnitude 12 on the image!

I need to do some modifications to the Dob' to allow the Cannon reach focus, anyone have a spare low profile 2" focuser??

I also tried one shot of the Orion Nebula. I was impressed with the colour but there was too much shake from the wind.

Michael Scully, KAC

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds