• albertw
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Secretary
  • IFAS Secretary
More
19 years 4 months ago #7139 by albertw
Administrivia: Displaying star charts was created by albertw
Hi,

Little query from your friendly moderator.

From time to time there is a need to post up a star chart for a comet, or some other object. What I have usually done is created a pdf from xephem of the object[1]. The logic behind using a pdf was so that people could print the map before going out, and its guarnteed to look ok whenprinted. A jpeg for example may not scale correctly or be jagged when printed.

I notice that other people when uploading maps tend to use images from skymap or cartes du ciel etc.

As a moderator one of the things I would like to get better at here is having downloadable starcharts of timley objects (comets, asteroids, novae etc.). I don't want to discourage others from uploading maps/charts/photos, I just to provide the basic service. So that if you hear there is a new comet, there will be a sticky post here and it will have a star chart linked off it. And the chart should be of a fairly consistent look and feel.

So my question. Would people prefer that I contiune with the xephem pdf's ? These have advantages for printing, and would probably be best for faint objects. Or would people like to have a visible jpeg on the board? This has the advantage that you dont need to download it. If so what software would be best? Looking at the charts put up by Gordon[2] and Charles[3], I think both are good. Converting the pdf to jpeg is also an option. Do you think I should include the pdf for those who want to print it and a jpeg of some sort?

Post thoughts comments or abuse below or email/pm me.

Cheers,
~Al

[1] www.irishastronomy.org/user_resources/fi...101217354-xephem.pdf
www.irishastronomy.org/user_resources/fi...-bradfield-tabur.pdf
[2] www.irishastronomy.org/user_resources/fi...-Comet%20Macholz.jpg
[3] www.qsl.net/ei5fk/images/machholz.png

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 4 months ago #7143 by Paul Tipper
Replied by Paul Tipper on topic Re: Administrivia: Displaying star charts
I would say the Xephem .pdf chart looks the clearest, both on screen and printed out, and the co-ordinate data at the bottom is also useful, so Xephem pdf has my vote!

Speaking of which, maybe you should start a poll on this topic?

Paul Tipper,
South Dublin Astro. Soc.

More
19 years 4 months ago #7145 by lionsden
Replied by lionsden on topic Re: Administrivia: Displaying star charts
pdf from xephem

Leo @ Lionsden
Perhap because light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

More
19 years 4 months ago #7150 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Administrivia: Displaying star charts
Al,
Xephem does indeel create nice charts as does pp3.
However, downloading pdfs via a dial-up is not my favourite hobby! :wink:
Keeping it on the screen as a jpg (or similar) is BY FAR the best way to keep it (IMHO anyway).

The starry night chart is very realistic in appearance. However, the length of the tail of the comet may be a little presumptious although it is useful to know which direction a tail would point. However, we should show a string to indicate it's path over a period of time (like you did Al in Xephem).

So, my vote is for a chart that shows the sky as realistic as possible but shows the path of an object over the course of a few weeks and has constellation lines drawn in and it should be saved in jpg format (or similar) so that it appears in the webpage itself and not as a link.

Clear skies,

More
19 years 4 months ago #7157 by John OBrien
Replied by John OBrien on topic Re: Administrivia: Displaying star charts
Small Jpeg and a link to the pdf. Good for 56k-ers, quick preview and easy to access with a link.

"We are the music makers ... and we are the dreamers of dreams." - W.W.

More
19 years 4 months ago #7164 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Administrivia: Displaying star charts
Even though I have broadband, I prefer the look of Starry night, and I also prefer to see the image in the post and not as a PDF link.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds